Combi boiler pressure drop...help | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Combi boiler pressure drop...help in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cainan

Hi all,

I went to a customers property yesterday afternoon where they are having to re pressurise the combi at least once a week.

as there was good access under the floor boards I crawled about checking all central heating pipework. I then checked the drain off valve. All was bone dry. I can only assume at the moment that the upstairs heating pipes are also fine as there is no sign of a leak on the ceiling. I then concentrated on the boiler. Disconnected a fitting at the pressure relief valve (plastic pipe by the way which I will need to replace) and found there to be a little water in it. The pipe runs the length of the attic and through the wall so asked the customer to stand outside while I blew through the pipe. In doing so the customer witnessed a waterfall of water come out the pipe for the 3 seconds or so. Great I thought, prv is passing by. I left a little container under the open ended pipe and asked him to check it in a few hours or so and reconnect the plastic bend again. Although I was certain this was the cause it was just to make sure.

so I then get an email this morning letting me know unfortunately the pressure has went back down to zero! However the container is bone dry. Slightly confused now as to why water was in the prv pipework but this isn't the cause. And the 1.5 pressure I re pressurised it to is now back to zero. It then surely goes back to a leak elsewhere?

any suggestions would be great

Inside the boiler appeared to be bone dry. It wouldn't go straight out condensate pipe if it was cracked would it? Would it not just come into boiler casing

I haven't come across it myself but from what I've been told, it can leak internally and go straight out the condensate. Won't necessarily be any signs of a leak in the boiler. Isolate the flow and return at the boiler, leave it overnight and if the pressure still drops then this is more than likely the cause. If it doesn't drop it will be somewhere else on the system

Yes that unfortunately sounds the next option, unluckily for them it's an old house and needs heating so they won't like that idea lol.

If it isn't in the boiler, and it is somewhere on the system I dread to think where I start. Downstairs is fine, upstairs like I say must be fine. Only other place is where the pipes drop down from attic all the way down the pipe boxing and a possibility of it being in there

If it's that desperate a situation to find, why not try some leak sealer? Could be a cheap option

You might not need to isolate the boiler overnight. If it's losing 1.5 bar over 24 hours, you will probably notice a drop over a couple of hours

You might not need to isolate the boiler overnight. If it's losing 1.5 bar over 24 hours, you will probably notice a drop over a couple of hours

Leak sealer is worth a shot, however if it's losing pressure that quick I doubt it will fix it but it's certainly an option before I start drastic work which I of course want to avoid

PutPut pressure up to 2.5 then isolate boiler, run hot water, heat causes heatex to expand. Is it not under warranty ?

Last edited:
Unsure if it is under warranty as yet. I would assume so though as it doesn't look more than a year or two. I will try isolating it and see if it's that and if it is boiler I will get him to get in touch with the installer.

The expansion vessel is fine silentmike. And even it was this surely that would be opening the prv anyway?

Depends if it split could take the pressure away from the first fill I suppose but if the boilers not old then it's unlikely but why was the prv letting by on a fairly new boiler overfilled or filling loop letting bye?

Last edited:
Depends if it split could take the pressure away from the first fill I suppose but if the boilers not old then it unlikely but way was the prv letting by on a fairly new boiler overfilled or filling loop letting bye?

Ive be no idea mate, that was in stumping me. The prv pipe gores maybe 3/4 metres then outside, in plastic pipe so it's not clipped or anything. That pipe was near enough full and this is why I straight away I though prv letting by, the filling valves definitely aren't letting by. Pressure isn't increasing , only dropping

Hex is most likely then like others have said I've seen them fail after 6 months before

I've heard of heat exchangers going on these. Leaking down the condense. So would also suggest that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

It seems to be a case of having to watch and...
Replies
Views
That means you have a leak as the system...
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
Again, ongoing thanks. I'll have to get to my...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Back