Combi Boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Combi Boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Susiemac

I have an oil fired combi boiler for my (oil) central heating and hot water supply. If I'm away from home for a few days in the winter, I need to leave the CH on low to prevent burst pipes - I live in Highland Scotland! Is it advisable to swich the water off at the stopcock (just in case) or does this need to be on whenever the boiler is switched on? Thanks for any help - there is a shortage of plumbers in these parts!:confused:

A combi-boiler has a quantity of water sealed within it, which does not need topping up unless some has escaped or been bled off via a radiator. So you can shut off the rising main stopcock while you're away. Obviously no-one will be able to draw off hot water from the boiler, or cold water!

what about the central heating pipework? your boiler has probably got a built in frost stat!

Have you're oil tank checked for water contamination as in severe frost it can freeze,cutting off the oil supply to the burner

If the boiler does have an automatic frost start (most modern ones do)then it shouldn't matter as the heating circut will be a closed loop and won't draw any water anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Ok, thanks will let here leave it is
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
Yes everything worked fine before. Is there a...
Replies
Views
M
Isolate and drain boiler. Pump up expansion...
Replies
Views
Back