Combi boilers and shared water supplies | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Combi boilers and shared water supplies in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Clippyjo

Hi All,

I was wondering if you could help?

I need a new boiler and central heating system. I currently live in a ground floor, 1 bed flat, with a shared water supply to the flat upstairs.

I was looking at getting a combi bolier but was advised that this may not be a good idea because of the shared supply.

I have tried to get some informaition about this on the internet but there seems to be very little.
I was hoping perhaps some of you could shed some light on this?
Also, I'd like to be as energy efficient as possible so if I can't have a combi boiler what is my next best option?

Many Thanks

Jo
-x-

How is your water heated at the moment and do you have central heating?

On the face of it I can't see a problem but if you could answer above then it might be easier to give sensible advice.

As above but also, wat is your water flow like? By that i mean can you and upstairs use the cold tap, flush a loo, that sort of thing, at the same time?

in the kitchen you should have mains water supply where your plumber can do the need it test ,to answer your question if you could have a combination boiler ! If you need professional help from a member from this forum just list your location and nearest person to you will be in touch !

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies.

We have a very old boiler and central heating system. I believe it is a condensor boiler - the gas boiler is in the kitchen and there is a hot water tank in the airing cupboard.

Our cold water supply has what I would consider a very storng flow. If I turn the kitchen tap on full I get very wet very quickly!

We have some companies coming round to give us quotes so perhaps I can ask them to do the test?

Thanks

Jo
-x-

Last edited by a moderator:
If you list your location , nearest gas fitter from this forum can come and Give you a much better price on the job plus %100 workmanship !If interest please list you location ! I cover from London - 100 miles On boiler change jobs ! I fit Worcester bosch boilers and give 6 years Extended guarantee on the boilers !Stan

what you can do it ask upstairs to run cold water for a couple of mins and during this period at your cold tap at your kitchen sink time how long it takes to fill a 1litre bottle. Then use this value to work out how many liters you could fill in one min, you then have a liters per min value.

do the test at the cold bath tap to to compare thye two readings.

ideally you want a flow rate of about 20 LPM and a cold water pressure of 1.5bar min.

Last edited:
Just be a little bit careful if going the combi route. There are some blocks of flats where it is a condition of the lease that you may NOT install a combi boiler. This is done to stop one (or more) flats "robbing" the others on a shared cold water supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

It seems to be a case of having to watch and...
Replies
Views
L
That shouldn't happen. Going to need lots of...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Probably temperature sensor or thermistor that...
Replies
Views
D
Hi all, i moved recently in new home and...
Replies
Views
Dobsuk
D
Back