Combi Boilers? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Combi Boilers? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mayonline2010

Hi,

Firstly, I am not a plumber. However, I need a new boiler and I'm torn between getting a combi system or not.

My dad says I should get a combi as they are more efficient, cheaper to install and space saving.

My mate who works with british gas says combi's are fine, but might not provide enough water for my needs and advises that I should stick to a standard bolier setup.

My household consists of me the wife and two young kids. There are four bedrooms.

Please could you experts offer some advice here?

If you need more info then please ask.

Appreciated

Paul

what are your total hot water requirements,ie number of showers,sinks,bathrooms

system boiler with unvented cylinder is the way to go

will keep you happy

imho

i am with puddle here ,dont like combis on large homes with more then 1 bathroom

Last edited:
yeah combis are ok for 1 bathroom and kitchen but 2 bathrooms wants either a large combi or system boiler with unvented cylinder,

What set up have you currently got in your house?
Also decide how much you want to spend , most plumbers are combi mad in my opinion and cant see past them .

you mention there are 4 bedrooms, but the important factor is how many bathrooms there is.

if you have 2 or more bathrooms, then a boiler and unvented cylinder is the way to go as previously said.

If you only have 1 bathroom then a decent combi would be fine, or another option is the Vaillant ecotech 937 boiler with the storage water in the back, its a monster but it also saves space that you don't need to get a cylinder and should cope with 1/2 bathrooms plus en-suite

Thanks for the responses.

There is one bathroom and a downstairs toilet with a tiny sink which uses very little hot water.

We have two showers must mornings and then the kids share baths in the evenings.

The current boiler is a Potterton Nettaheat which is apparently old and hard to find parts for.

Is a Vaillant ecotech a combi system? Excuse my ignorance!

Thanks

Paul

a 28 or 30kw combi boiler would suit you fine then, doesnt have to be vaillant they are more top of the range, you can get cheaper boilers than them if you wanted like a vokera boiler.

as above 28 kilowatt or 30 would be ample , just make sure you have reasonable flow rate (litres minute going through your boiler) .
I wouldn't touch vokera tho in my honest opinion.

If you have a Potterton Netaheat your system could be old so a pressurised system may not be suitable for the existing pipework. Go for mains fed hot water and a heat only boiler on a Y or S plan fully pumped with room stat and cylinder stat. You will never run out of hot water and you can have a NON sysytem boiler installed to your existing system.............I hate combis anyway and wouldnt have one in my house.i AM a heating engineer by the way. Hope this helps

on a different note your netaheat may contain asbestos which will be disturbed when it is removed (rope seal between back of boiler around flue and wall). Make sure it gets removed and desposed of correctly.

If youbgo through the combi route then either vailliant 937 storage combi or glowworm storage combi, this will give a stored water vessel and flow rate of around 20ltrs a min on good main pressure, be aware that these appiances do stand off the wallbaround 350mm more than standard combination.

Right, some good advise here.

Thanks very much guys. Appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Back