Combi hot water issues - can I bounce my opinion off you guys? | Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Combi hot water issues - can I bounce my opinion off you guys? in the Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's area at Plumbers Forums

M

Masood

Morning all,

Went see a combi yesterday, a Main Eco. Problem is as follows - no issues with heating, hot water is great (flow and temp) at the nearest tap, cooler at the next furthest one, cooler still at the furthest one. It will run fine for a while, then the water gradually runs cold.

When she described the issue over the phone she just mentioned that the water was lukewarm, so I thought maybe the diverter valve was letting by, but having run the water, the CH flow pipe remains cold. So, I'm thinking blocked plate-to-plate? The reason I'm a bit hesitant is that the boiler is not kettling at all. It's a year old - too new to be choked up as yet I'd have thought, and there's a scale reducer fitted so limescale is probably not the issue...

Would you agree with my thoughts, or am I overlooking something?

Ta!

is the boiler staying alight when using the far tap?i cant see how a blocked plate would work on one outlet and not the otherhow far away is this tap ?not at the other end of the garden
mostly boilers dont kettle with a blocked plate just cut out, with the sophisicated controls boilers seldom kettle now unless a sensor is U S

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Steve, with all taps the boiler fires for a while then cuts out. It's just that the closest tap gets hot water for a minute or so, whereas the other ones don't get quite as hot.

Upvote 0
Although a year is about the time it seems to take to block the heat ex when a system isnt cleaned properly it wont be scaled on the water side it will be blocked on the heating side take it out and rinse it out

Upvote 0
Although a year is about the time it seems to take to block the heat ex when a system isnt cleaned properly it wont be scaled on the water side it will be blocked on the heating side take it out and rinse it out

Cheers Steve. There is a LOT of brick dust and rubble inside the boiler casing, and the PRV has just been left dangling inside the kitchen cabinet where the boiler is, so it's a seriously shoddy install. No way will they have flushed it before commissioning, so I think you're spot on that it's the heating side. Thanks mate, still feeling my way around breakdowns/troubleshooting so your input is well appreciated! :)

Upvote 0
Cheers Steve. There is a LOT of brick dust and rubble inside the boiler casing, and the PRV has just been left dangling inside the kitchen cabinet where the boiler is, so it's a seriously shoddy install. No way will they have flushed it before commissioning, so I think you're spot on that it's the heating side. Thanks mate, still feeling my way around breakdowns/troubleshooting so your input is well appreciated! :)

you and me both m8

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Not related to your boiler issue but this...
Replies
Views
  • Question
if its green its sulphate probably caused by...
Replies
Views
  • Question
There is a venturi for the DHW diaphragm in...
Replies
Views
Ours is a Vaillant ecomax and it’s 17 years...
Replies
Views
Back