combi or system boiler? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss combi or system boiler? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesky

Gas Engineer
hi all,

i am helping a qualified gas engineer to install a boiler in a HMO. totally 5 en-suite showers, the landlord wants to have a combi boiler in the kitchen, do you guys think it is ok to have a very powerful combi boiler or maybe a better idea to have a system boiler with a cylinder?

cheers in advance

It goes without saying with the possible demand of 5 showers working at once work out the flow rates of the showers and your only choice is a system boiler with a DHW cylinder
regards
Mike

hi all,

i am helping a qualified gas engineer to install a boiler in a HMO. totally 5 en-suite showers, the landlord wants to have a combi boiler in the kitchen, do you guys think it is ok to have a very powerful combi boiler or maybe a better idea to have a system boiler with a cylinder?

cheers in advance

Combi would not be the correct choice.
New boiler advice

system boiler with unvented cylinder would be best option mains pressure at all outlets no need for shower pumps

if you have enough pressure of course, but I'm sure you'll check that :p

fitted last year in a big house 2 bathrooms and a shower a potterton performa 28 system ,with a cwsc fed cylinder (low wp so could not go unvented) owners still raving how well it works combi like performance to heating and more hot water than he could wish for

fitted last year in a big house 2 bathrooms and a shower a potterton performa 28 system ,with a cwsc fed cylinder (low wp so could not go unvented) owners still raving how well it works combi like performance to heating and more hot water than he could wish for
4 Bathrooms in my house so unvented was the only way to go.

The main reason that I detest combis is they always go wrong around christmas time when you cant get the parts for a week and when they go wrong it all stops working. at least by splitting the system you can have one with out the other

The main reason that I detest combis is they always go wrong around christmas time when you cant get the parts for a week and when they go wrong it all stops working. at least by splitting the system you can have one with out the other

Any boiler can go wrong.

Viesmann have just brought out a new product, book in van at moment, will post later with product code etc, but it is a system boiler and unvented cylinder in one unit and here is the advantage it only requires a 15mm water main, not fitted one yet but with viesmann am sure it would work well, dont know storage capacity of cylinder, but will let you know, it all comes pre-piped, and works out cheaper than a seperate system boiler and un-vented cylinder.

I can't imagine the storage capacity being big enough to supply 5 bathrooms anyway, but It does sound like a good product

my opinion is the same as everyone else because its the only sensible option and theoption i would go for system and unvented

system boiler with unvented cylinder would be best option mains pressure at all outlets no need for shower pumps

i 2nd that, even with high mains pressure and good flow rates available from the mains even a 40+kw boiler would struggle with 5 showers nd if it isnt in close proximity with the showers its going to struggle even more not to mention if any of the showers have large heads. as stated above a 250l megaflow (purely for the lifetime guarentee) with secondry circulation should work well, this might sound like an expensive outlay but if a property has 5 enuites they can probably afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

M
A large storage combi could feed more than two...
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
Hi, I sought advice here a few years ago, to...
Replies
Views
L
That shouldn't happen. Going to need lots of...
Replies
Views
Back