Combi, system or regular boiler? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Combi, system or regular boiler? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

reggieroo

Right I'm in need of a new boiler as I have been without one since Xmas.
The boiler I have is an Ideal WLX by stelrad group & is leaking water all over the place from the casing seal, when on that is.

I have a few questions I need answering so I can make the right decision on which type of boiler to go for & what set up to have.

I'll start with my house info so to give an idea of what might be best for me & my new family ( a new baby on the way in 6 weeks )

3 bed detached bungalow, nine radiators, one bathroom & a toilet/cloakroom. Also an open fire in the lounge with a back boiler ( currently disconnected). The system I have in place at the moment is a regular boiler with the hot water tank in the airing cupboard & water cistern in the loft. Also we run on LPG gas bottles as we have no mains gas in the village.

The boiler I have at the moment is around 25 years old & gave up the goose last Xmas, leaving us with no central heating as we couldn't afford a new boiler. I've still had hot water as I have just used electric to heat the tank when needed. I bought some cheap oil filled radiators & had a coal/log fire every night to get us through the Winter. Now Summer's coming to an end & a new baby on the way I need central heating again.

I've been thinking about hooking the back boiler back up with a neutraliser to a new regular boiler to save on LPG costs. I had a chap out the other day & told me that the back boiler will only heat the water as it's not that big & to work out if it will make me any savings over the year. I have a coal/log fire nearly every night in Winter so thought it would be wise to use the back boiler so I'm not just wasting the energy.

I was then thinking doesn't your hot water heat up anyway when your central heating is on, which would be on most of the Winter anyway?
So is it worth the extra expense of hooking up the back boiler as the water would already be hot wouldn't it?

So this is the dilemma I having & I'm not sure what to do as I've had a few people out & have all told me different things. I bascicly want to keep fuel bills down to a minimum as we will stuggle more than ever now with a new baby on the way.

Do I go for a combi boiler for their efficiency (so i'm told) or system boiler( I like the thought of still having hot water in the event of a boiler breakdown), or hook up the back boiler (at extra cost) with a regular boiler to try & keep LPG bills down?

Bit of a long post I know but wanted to give as much info to people in order to get the right advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Or elec bills as it would be running...
Replies
Views
Under the Energy Price Cap rates from 1...
Replies
Views
Ok, thanks, so if it can not be accessed from...
Replies
Views
There must be many installations that are in...
Replies
Views
Back