Combi vs System boiler? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Combi vs System boiler? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Bennett

Hi all,

I am a new member this is my first post, I am researching boilers and need some advice please.

I have a 5 bed house with 3 bathrooms and 17 radiators, and a traditional tank based boiler on it's way out. All we are looking for is to be able to have hot water when we want it, at any time, as efficiently as possible. Our options seem to come down to one of the following :-

1) A big Combi suitable for a large house, such as a Worcester Highflow floorstanding
2) A System boiler requiring a tank, such as a Worcester 24i Greenstar System

However with Option 1 the limitation seems to be only running one tap at a time as it heats as it goes, which sounds a bit restrictive. Option 2 means it's possible to run out of hot water in the tank, which is a possibility if the kids have a bath then my wife wants one later.

My question is - do I have to choose between either running one tap at a time or potentially emptying the hot tank - surely there is an all inclusive option? Or, what does everyone advise is the best solution? Is it better to get a System boiler and then just leave it on 24x7 or is this really expensive to run?

I have seen a couple of other posts on this, some responders talk about 20mins waiting time to heat a tank, but mine takes over an hour. Is this normal? or is my current one just really inefficient? This might influence the decision!

Thanks
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
With the size of house and bathrooms, I would advise boiler and if water pressure is ok put in a unvented hw cylinder

️Agreed, defo unvented if you can

Ps. please consider other brands. Worcester isn't the only and best brand of boiler out there ;)

Thanks for the responses - very helpful. With the unvented cylinder then does this mean : old boiler, immersion cylinder, cold water tank and refill tank all come out, new boiler, cylinder go in and no tank needed in the loft?
I'm not convinced about water pressure where we are, we are on top of a hill and only been in a few months now but flushing the toilets doesn't push water out as powerfully as our old house, not sure if that means anything or not!

Your flush is not affected by water pressure. Only how quickly the cisterns fill. Get a GSR engineer in to test the set up for you.

If your hot water pressure/flow is enough now and you have no problem with it you can install an efficient vented cylinder (they are not as good as an unvented in my eyes but if everything works as it should why change)

I wouldn't go combi in that sized house my self.

As suggested an unvented cylinder would be a good solution. Test you cold water pressure and dynamic flow rate to see if you can have one. A combi in a house with 3 bathrooms with a family is a bad idea.

I would agree with all thats been said already, not a combi, and not a worcester.

Unvented cylinder if the incoming main is up to it, or vented if not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
L
That shouldn't happen. Going to need lots of...
Replies
Views
It doesn't have a thermostat and the cylinder...
Replies
Views
Back