Combi vs unvented??? | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Combi vs unvented??? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys.
I know there’s a lot of people who are happy to just chuck in a combi on every install, whether it’s suitable or not.

What I’d like to know is, in what situation do you refuse a combi? Obviously things like a 4 bathroom house might not be suitable but what about cost savings with various systems?

i.e. single occupancy 3 bed, 1 bath house. Existing system is open vent. 12-15kw regular boiler.
Cost wise why would you rip out for a combi?

I’d be interested to hear peoples thoughts on it if you’d can be bothered.
Cheers.

Hi macka09,
I'd lean towards combi when possible because they are a cheap and efficient option.
Regular boilers now cost almost as much if not the same as a combi.
Yes you have additional install costs but they are more efficient and remove allot of future problems for the customer aswell as giving mains pressure hot water and additional space.
I'd always try and fit a controller with load compensation and/or weather comp, giving even more efficiency and comfort due to reduced cycling.
A system boiler with unvented cylinder still remains the best option for high flow rates and multiple outlets but effective load compensation controls are a bit of a minefield imo.
Viessmann 111-w is a good example of best of both worlds.
The Worcester highflow is just plain old now so I don't really fit them.
Worcester do an internal diverter for cylinder but requires 2 extra pipes to boiler.
And I'm sure Vaillant have some options.
I'd be interested to see what people recommend for boiler/control combinations with smart Cylinder control?...

Similar plumbing topics

In practice, I'm sure fitting radiators with...
Replies
Views
Like I said, really can't comment on the Blue...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
  • Question
I think we're on the same page then, Chuck...
Replies
Views
Thanks all for the replies. The combi is an...
Replies
Views
Back