Combination Boiler or unvented system with a tank?? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Combination Boiler or unvented system with a tank?? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Williams

Hi
I am re-furbishing a five bed, three storey Edwardian terraced house with four bathrooms. Would a "combi" instant type boiler be right for the job or should I have a boiler with a hot water storage tank? I may want a solar hot water facility when the work is done or at a later date. The ground floor will have UFH. I have room for a tank roughly in between the kitchen and bathrooms whilst the boiler will be on the top floor.
Many thanks
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
you are right to question this point Steve.
A combi however large would not cope with that much demand, if in use at the same time.

depending on the layout, possibly advantages to have more than 1 boiler? more than 1 hot water cylinder?
unvented? thermal store? ground source heat?

best to get someone in to recommend possibilities.

Thanks Simon. I probably won't need two tanks or boilers as the layout of the house means the bathrooms/kitchen are all quite close. I think the Combi option is out, although thats what is being replaced- albeit two showers were electric and clearly the hot water produced is inadequate. Second heating engineer around today!

Definitely not a combi. Assuming incoming mains pressure and flow rate are adequate, it sounds like an ideal job for a large unvented cylinder (300 litres) with a solar coil. You don't have to use the solar coil to start with - it can either be blanked off, or temporarily connect both coils to the primary circuit for faster reheat times. If you go this latter route, a little forethought in isolating valves will enable you to add in solar later with very little disruption.

Ray has said it all - he is spot on end of !
Definitely not a combi. Assuming incoming mains pressure and flow rate are adequate, it sounds like an ideal job for a large unvented cylinder (300 litres) with a solar coil. You don't have to use the solar coil to start with - it can either be blanked off, or temporarily connect both coils to the primary circuit for faster reheat times. If you go this latter route, a little forethought in isolating valves will enable you to add in solar later with very little disruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

PH is 7.5. Chloride is 194. The last water...
Replies
Views
👍🏻 I knew the fire ones had to be, we've done...
Replies
Views
Turned out to be a dirty flame eye inside the...
Replies
Views
N
Re: Zoning upstairs. If you don't have 1 set...
Replies
Views
You should be able to pull a bit more out eg...
Replies
Views
Back