Comical condensate | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Comical condensate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Called out to dripping condensate on a Main, expected to find the usual frozen pipe but on tracing the pipe I found myself in stitches.

Boiler in airing cupboard, condensate runs straight down under the floor towards the bathroom. Note the use of the tiles to prop it up :) Wonder why it never drained away hey :confused:

IMAG0071.jpgIMAG0072.jpg
pencil.png

Last edited:
The guy was gas registered and the boiler is "top of the range" according to what he told the home owner.

Band B, It's been in for 18 months I believe. The tenant had water come through the ceiling below, which I thought was a blocked soil pipe possibly due to the idiot pushing the condensate too far into the boss as the toilet is to the left of the bath so toilet roll had been catching on the pipe in the boss gradually building up.

The condensate trap was also knackered and the bracket it sits on rusted through. I wrote a report to the letting agent explaining my findings as there were other issues in there also.

I advised fitting a new condensate trap and bracket and re-piping the condensate at a total cost of £140.00 and then billed £40 for my call out. The landlord rang me a couple of days later and I explained it all to her and she said she would get back to me.

A couple of days later I get a email from the letting agent which contained an email the landlord had sent them stating that she called her plumber out who changed a washer on the condensate trap and apparently the condensate pipework is fine. He charged £20.00 and she also stated that I was trying to rip her off and did not want to pay my £40 call out charge.

You gotta love this job at times hey :) I'll wait for the condensate to start dripping again, fall off the rusted bracket and ruin the PCB.

Oh and I also found out that the soil pipe was blocked as they got someone in to rod it after I told them about it.

Sometimes I wonder if it actually pays to be a cowboy :confused:

thats unbelievable bronzino,the fingers pointed at you when you did everything right,the band b will go strait to lock out if it backs up,but as you say its leaking so will kill the pcb the land lord and so called installer deserve each other

unbelievable !!! some time makes you think how this people get away with things like this .

well you did the right thing ,now wait till they call you to go back to repair there boiler cos there GSR possibly would not have a clue

how to do it and then make your charges !!!

If I get customers like that I never go back again whatever the reason. The original job was probably done on the cheap and they expect everyone to be as cheap. Not worth the hassle, leave the work for some other sucker.

Last edited:
well I have had customers like that before and I put them straight right away ,you always get landlords like that I have recently lost a ton of work through the estate agents due to cheaper pricing , they are welcome to it

dont forget to talk to the letting agent and explain the issues to them, so you keep their business, leave the idiots to sort trhemselves out

well its a case of the letting agents trying to nick money I suspect , They asked me to drop the price on GLSC by £15 which i did and then they got someone cheaper, this is not just one agent but on them all. So it is quiet handy that I dont have to do invoices anymore,

To be honest, I'm finding it more and more frustrating working for the agent and I've been considering knocking it on the head. Yes it's an income, but when your bills are questioned over really stupid things I just wonder if it's worth the hassle.

we do a lot for a local letting agent but we are fortunate they are brilliant at paying

the majority of them were spot on payment wise, it is a weight off my mind now and no more hassle collecting keys dropping keys off etc

I'm with you on that one gasmarc. I can't charge anymore for collecting and dropping off keys, and then also got told the other week that none of there other contractors charge for failed callouts. This was after driving for 30 mins to a property as arranged with tenant, waiting 30 mins on site before giving up and going home.

There was a local firm who would not charge the agency a call out fee but would charge a fortune to do any job, They eventually went bust. The problem is the agencies expect you to do these extra things for free , I usually drop a crate of wine off to each agents at christmas time which i did not do this year, I wont be matching anybodies stupid prices either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Just to round this off with what I found here...
Replies
Views
No play but did manage to get enough with some...
Replies
Views
The boiler was last serviced in July 2018
Replies
Views
Not offended. I understand your frustration...
Replies
Views
Theres nothing so fanciful on these traps...
Replies
Views
Jeff the lonesome
J
Back