commercial cold water supply | Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss commercial cold water supply in the Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Currently doing a small refurb on a commercial office where the cold water supply is tank fed .Most systems i have worked on have been boosted with the use of pumps via a tank room.Have not looked at the tank set up in the building but would i be right in thinking that on most commercial set ups tanks that feed the cold water services in the building would have a quick turnover of water with plates acroos the top to stop debris etc??Asking as the other trades on site are whinging about not having water fit for drinking etc etc

Yeah tank is fed from the mains but its right at the other end of building and offices are being used so its a no no , all other outlets seem to be tank fed which i found a bit odd as i would have thought it may have been boosted .

So long as the water is contained within what is known as a protected cistern i.e. think of a cistern that has full Bylaw 30 kit (including insulation) & it is turned over roughly once every 24Hours then the water in it will be to category 1 = wholesome / drinking water.
Don't forget hammer, any extensions or alterations to the system will have to be chlorinated on completion they will be expecting a cert.

So long as the water is contained within what is known as a protected cistern i.e. think of a cistern that has full Bylaw 30 kit (including insulation) & it is turned over roughly once every 24Hours then the water in it will be to category 1 = wholesome / drinking water.
Don't forget hammer, any extensions or alterations to the system will have to be chlorinated on completion they will be expecting a cert.

its not been lying empty as its in regular use everyday thats why i was thinking that due to the constant turnover of water it should be o.k to drink . It was morer a case the trades were moaning on site that as they see it tank fed means no potable drink water on site . My only concern is that have not seen the tank and to be honest i am assuming it has aproprate lid etc etc

Think of a high rise building, to get the water up past the point that the mains can reach it has to enter a cistern before being pumped, water is still drinking quality so long as it is held in a protect cistern, otherwise there would be no drinking water at the top of the high rise buildings. If the cistern is not protected water would be category 3 & should not be drunk. At the risk of repeating myself any work to the hot & cold water systems, unlike domestic systems, will require flushing & chlorinating after work is competed.

I would contact a local water testing company to give you a risk assesment and analysis.

can you not simply run a temporary supply from the mains? 1 rolled out length of 15mm speedfit......how much disruption could this really cause....lifes a learning game, make a note of this situation and make sure next time, you agree with the client a temporary mains supply will be required.

Similar plumbing topics

Back