Commercial Done | Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Commercial Done in the Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

P

pipefitter

Finished my commercial qualifications this week which is great

but I do realise there is a difference between being qualified and being able to do the job,it's fine in the test centre but I know it's different in real life

I have over twenty years experience in the domestic side & done plenty off pipe fitting so don't feel out of place in a plant room but not worked on many commercial boilers,burners & controls

So now I need experience .....anyone on here own a commercial company that would be willing to help me get some experience ?

Just thought i would ask ,I'm close to London,Hertfordshire & essex,cheers guys

Well done mate, i prefer commercial units (Radiant panels,Warm air heaters etc) as they are simpler beasts and usually not crammed into silly wee cupboards that require you to be Houdini to get into the components :lol:

Well done.

I'm Commercial Gas.

One thing to be aware of is outside influences, i.e Commercial Fire alarms tend to shut solenoid valves, some need manual / electrical resetting.
Fire alarms can inhibit boilers and also fans on air handlers.
Burners in air handlers won't run unless there is proven air flow across the heat exchanger.
Boilers can be inhibited by Flue dilution fans not running and also water pressurisation systems.
Plantrooms quite often have mechanical ventilation with interlocks to gas equipment.
In larger buildings, Building management systems (Trend etc) have control of everything.

In other words just because the Boiler won't fire, doesn't mean it's faulty, but you may get the call to it.

Well done.

Think flow charts look like this

Water cold? Big boiler flamethrower thing hot? = BMS fault

Water hot ? Big boiler flamethrower thingy hot? = BMS fault

No water? Oh sugar...... It's not my pipework it's the ..... BMS!

The number of tools you need and the ease of which you flood the premises. Domestic it's pretty difficult to get a 3' puddle in boiler room...... Experience says commercial is a lot easier.

Also commercial functions in a fairly different manner. Most domestic faults are the 3port or micro switch. Commercial it's always the BMS. Usually someone shutdown the PC while still in setup! Or the caretakers mop smashed the emergency stop on AHU. So he didn't get blame opens up dosing vessel and floods the whole building as the bunded plant room on 8th floor isn't bunded as well as you might have expected! ....... What the rockwool fire board isn't strong enough to hold up 700l over the service riser? But it's been painted red with that waterproof stuff?

One I find amusing on Commercial,
Ask where the Gas meter is and see how many blank looks you get.
As well as the "We haven't got gas" comments.
Then it's get the strimmer and chainsaw out and go searching around the edge of the car park.

Usually followed by the same response to "Where's the plantroom(s)."

Yeh , bit like the kitchen staff not using it as a washing machiene / laundry room. " how is a tumble dryer going to cause all that soot" " the open biological washing powder has nothing to do with the flue on that a Andrews water heater looking like a cobweb."

"Your an idiot mate, were getting BG back"

The best one I had was the HSE in Belfast. They were using theirs as a furniture and cylinder store.

The quandary I had was whom to report it to........

UkIP. They would have a field day. Was in The Hague other day / Thursday. Surprising how many of the EC standards not met in the place where they are written and approved!

I've been both domestic and commercial a fair few years now and its fair to say the hardest thing about commercial is BMS! I can work it, I can fix it, hey I can even programme it, but it still gets me!

This is why caretakers and cleaners are banned from my plantrooms.

Plant room????

pot pic.jpg

Similar plumbing topics

Back