Commercial Plumber??? | Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Commercial Plumber??? in the Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

F

funkeii

Hi Guys,

Apologies in advance for this essay!

I have recently took lease of a shop, it has A1 retail use, we want to open a deli and are applying for a change of use with planning.

We need some minor plumbing work done - so as we are hoping to change use from A1 to A1, A3 and A4 mixed, then I preesume this would be seen as a 'material change of use' which would involve building and water regs?

The shop is ground floor and above the landlord is currently rennovating to create bedsits - they are currently not habited. There is only one water supply to the building, which the landlord intends to keep shared (which I see as problematic!)

The plumbing we need doing in the shop is as follows:

1. Install two small sinks (handwash and salad wash) in the deli and a cold water feed for a coffee machine and hot water boiler. To do this it would mean extending the cold water feed that is below in the basement, up through the floor and then teeing off to supply each of these. The drainage would then have to be directed out of the wall to an existing soil pipe - are there any probs with this set up? What do I need to consider with regards to building and water regs?

Secondly, as there is no hot water supply, I would have to install an under sink instant electric hot water heater (unvented 4.5kw) which would require a 20 amp supply and switch fitting - again what regs may be invloved here?

2. In the basement I need 1 x small handwash installing. How would I provide hot water here - link it up to the suggested electric under sink instant hot water heater in the deli?

In the basement there are no drainage options currently that I can see, so I presume it would involve either a saniflow system to pump up and out, or a self contained hadwash unit with a tank that could be emptied. Again, what are the implications, or other options you guys envisage here?

3. There is kitchen which we intend to use commercially, but not on a large scale as the shop is only small really so we wouldn't be cooking everyday for example. However there is 1 x double catering sink unit and a handwash sink that need hot and cold water supply connecting and drainage out to an outside drain. There is currently a hot and cold pipe sticking out of the wall (with an isolating tap) - the hot water in the kitchen is connected to a gas boiler that is to be used in the bedsits above. The landlord has said I can connect the hot water supply this way - again what regs are invloved with this? I am uneasy about this set up - what if the boiler breaks down? What about proportioning the usage correctly? Am I allowed to use the boiler or do we have to have seperate supplies???

I was wondering whether it is better for me to install a seperate means of hot water supply - maybe via an electric boiler - which would service all of my requirements in the shop, basement and kitchen???

I also wondered if I or my landlord needed to notify the water supplier first? and also if I shall need to install a seperate water supply? (which I would presume is the correct thing to do?)

I guess my questions are really - who can advise on the issues I have raised already? What sort of plumber may fit the bill for what I need? Does an approved plumber have such knowledge / advice? Where do I need to look for the correct person for the work I have described? There seems to be so many 'schemes' I am bamboozled to be honest!

I am based in South Yorkshire - any advice or help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance and sorry again for this novel! lol :wink5:

best apply for change of use via the planners and seek the advice of buildings control first to see what they want. Then get a wras approved plumber in to do the work and sign it off or go through the water supplier to get approval prior to starting any work.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Many thanks for the reply @Timmy D thats a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Go to the manufacturer's of the units you want...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I agree. (I hold domestic, commercial and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You Can Use Boiler, Heat Pump.
Replies
Views
Back