compact 100 e does it need a thermostat in hall? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss compact 100 e does it need a thermostat in hall? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jillian

HI All
have a glow worm compact 100e which is ten years old.
Only has heating thermostat conrtols on Boiler itself.
If I turn the water temperature down, it goes down ie cooler.
the CH thermostat on boiler does not seem to influence the rads Temperature Nor the Gas used .[Did checks on gas meter]. Just for curio.

As I have a friend with same setup in similar sized house and hers heats up to hot rads in half a hour;and mine take 2hours at least.

Whats Happening.
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards Jillian

Last edited by a moderator:
a system will be more economical with a room stat,
this was traditionally put in the hall but the living room is probably a better option.
as to the boiler controller not making any difference to temperature, if you are sure that's the case then you would need to get that looked at.
time to heat up could be lots of factors to that, might be a problem might not.
best to get an engineer to call and check upgrade where needed.

Thanks Simon,
for that imput. My plumber wants me to have a new boiler but I think 10 years is young!
The question I am asking really is, should theoretically, the therostat in the boiler control- control the heat output to the rads; I am well lagged so would of thought the 1st rad from the boiler should get red hot immediately even if the others lag behind.
Not bothered about a seperate controller as have gas fires in lounge and dining room and only use the timer when its really cold otherwise flick on and off.
Any other thoughts.
Regards Jillian

the stat on the boiler will only control the temp inside the boiler/ its water. How that temp gets carried to your rads depends on your system, pump/controls etc....

thanks Awheating,
your 2nd name has to be Sheldon,[a compliment ]from The Big Bang Theory on E4 or Channel 4 .try to get the earlier series. [running 3series together at moment] you will love the humour.
Thanks for clarification, understand there are settings inside I can't access.
Any more thoughts on "if CH temp turned down why does it use roughly same amount of gas?.
Regards Gillian

only use the timer when its really cold otherwise flick on and off.

Regards Jillian

Any more thoughts on "if CH temp turned down why does it use roughly same amount of gas?.
Regards Gillian
Probably because you are leaving the heating on for longer at lower rad temps. Unless you are adjusting the boiler control stat from minimum to maximum, you won't really notice the temperature change. The range on the stat is probably 55-85 degrees celcius, so turning it down slightly will only drop a few degrees.

I would definitely install a room stat in your property, it will reduce your gas consumption. Without one, the heating is on the whole time the timer is switched on, the burner will turn off when the boiler is up to temp, but the pump will carry on running and throwing away heat in the rads and pipework, thus making the burner fire up again and use more gas.

If you had a room stat the heating would be turned off when the desired room temperature is reached. The pump stops, so heat isn't being wasted.

could be a faulty control but a simple check to do on your system aswell is put your heating on after a while go round and check the bottom of the rads if there are any cold spots it will indicate sludge reducing the efficiency and warm up time of your system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

J
And I thought you only got an...oooo with...
Replies
Views
Hi, need some help please. we have moved into...
Replies
Views
T
I have this in my house and it's brilliant
Replies
Views
csmithy
C
S
sorry it will not let me edit i can pm anyone...
Replies
Views
smtplumbing
S
S
Still lots left
Replies
Views
smtplumbing
S
Back