Condensate Pipe installation | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Condensate Pipe installation in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Engineer has installed several boilers for me. All the condensate pipes have been connected externally into soil stack or rain water downpipe. In each case he just drilled a hole in the pipe, and stuck the condensate in the side, smeared glue everywhere. No boss, or branch.
Is this allowed, is there a regulation that says you must use appropriate fitting, or is it just bad workmanship. I want it fixed, but not sure I have an angle other than poor workmanship.
In each case, a pipe protruding into another pipe is gonna create an obstacle, surly this is not allowed ?
What I can see is there should be a visible external air break for rain water down pipe, so this is one option.
I'd appreciate any feedback, especially if there is a reg.
I've only looked at Condensate regs (HHIC), but maybe there is a water reg I'm missing ?

They are all 32mm insulated.

Thanks,

No regs in regards to connections

But very poor quality workmanship also should be insulated and air gapped if external

If rainwater pipe discharges to a combined (foul and surface water) sewer via a rainwater drainpipe trapped at the foot to prevent the escape of sewer gasses then an airbreak should probably be there to comply with the boiler manufacturer's instructions (if the drainpipe blocks, the boiler would otherwise get flooded by rainwater). Because the boiler is an approved device to whatever standards of the time... only if you install as per the MIs (which will also likely insist on minimum sizes and insulation of external pipework).

If the rainwater pipe goes to a surface water only sewer provided by the water undertaker then probably the water board will probably object to condensate being discharged into it?

If going into the soil stack, then I see your obstruction argument. The connexion probably wouldn't be airtight either and might be considered not to comply with Part H of the building regulations for these reasons. You couldn't usually fit an air break here as you'd allow sewer gasses to escape, so the boiler manufacturer may accept a lack of air break in this situation.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
That’s a good solution. But at £150 compared...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for your help.
Replies
Views
Thanks. I will look that up
Replies
Views
R
Replies
Views
M
Thanks samboc - I know that plumbers can often...
Replies
Views
M
Back