Condensate question | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Condensate question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQuigley67

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I'm contracting to a firm just now doing heating installs, and the one I'm working on at the moment the gaffer wants me to connect the condensate pipe into the old cylinder drain(copper) and it goes down boxing beside chimney breast then outside in lead, then stick a speed fit bend on the lead pipe and put it into a soakaway, i know its not right but is it a major no no ?? since I'm the one doing the benchmark etc I dont really want to be signing it off but I can only work with what he gives me, any advice appreciated

Copper won't last 6months with condense flowing through it

And it breaches mi's

What r u smoking tonight?

Tell him to jog on.

If its old copper pipe Id give it 12 months before it leaks.

Must be plastic, only into metallic pipes if it will be flushed often, ie lower than a wc connection.

Was a joke post ?

Last edited by a moderator:
no its not a joke, this is what hes expecting me to do but i'm not happy with doing it but i can only work with what he gives me why should i pay out my own pocket for materials as the money is crap as it is

I will just have to have a word with him in the morning and get the proper materials just want some advice on how to go about it

Personally Gery i'd point him in the direction of building regs I think that's where the need for plastic stems from? and point out his inability to adhere to them ... ask for the same money but advise that he signs them off himself coz you're not prepared to instal something that is NOT TO standard!

I guess it all depends on how much this'll mean financially .....is the bloke just comming on as "I'm the gaffer and you'll do as I say?"

If GasSafe inspect it'll be you who gets the rectification notice not the forman!! :)

i would refuse to sign off the work, let him put his name to it. Its crazy really as he will be back within a few months to unfreeze it anyway?

No..although its slightly different, i have seen a small drip on a condensate fitting where it has nibbled through the copper gas pipe which happened to pass below the boiler causing a good sized leak.

Just tell him you will install but wont commision/ sign off see how it goes down as he wont get anyone else to do it !! As already stated depends on your finacial stand at the moment .

On slight different note was doing a service other day and came across a condense pipe on install less than year old and it was external into a downpipe . Had about 4 inches of overflow outside which never noted as was such short run would anyone else have noted it on cp12??

Just tell him you will install but wont commision/ sign off see how it goes down as he wont get anyone else to do it !! As already stated depends on your finacial stand at the moment .

On slight different note was doing a service other day and came across a condense pipe on install less than year old and it was external into a downpipe . Had about 4 inches of overflow outside which never noted as was such short run would anyone else have noted it on cp12??

I had a rectification notice for less than that

well brought it up today, his answer was in the real world things have to be done to make money on jobs, to be fair the job was for the tilers gran and the price was tight so he didnt want to pay for more materials, everything else has been spot in, i installed it but didnt commision it and filled out the guarantee in their name im not signing my name to it

Not my style though as I dont like cutting corners, don't think I'll last much longer with this mob though alot of work for crap money, getting left on 2 man jobs myself etc

Thought you could just stick a condense safe/salamander in if you need to discharge the condense to copper ?

Thought you could just stick a condense safe/salamander in if you need to discharge the condense to copper ?
Does this have manufacturer/British Standard approval? And even then can it be guaranteed that it will be cleaned and recharged every year? If not it will eventually fail to be of any use what so ever and allow raw condensate to pass.

hmm not sure about the approval will look into that, it is, dare i say it "common practise"

I know the limestones have to be replaced on the yearly service.

I never knew the limestones had to be replaced on yearly service to be honest and if i included that on a price of service doubt i would get that job to be honest .

hmm not sure about the approval will look into that, it is, dare i say it "common practise"

I know the limestones have to be replaced on the yearly service.
Think only NCS'd and advised on 2 installs in past year or so for having condi pipe in copper.
You cannot run condi pipe in copper; for obvious reasons!

I never knew the limestones had to be replaced on yearly service to be honest and if i included that on a price of service doubt i would get that job to be honest .
It never gets done, but the lime chips should be replaced annually in the soak-away. After a time the chips fail to neutralise the condensate discharge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

It's one of them places... Comedy gold was...
Replies
Views
Just to round this off with what I found here...
Replies
Views
D
As above The Grant instructions tell you to...
Replies
Views
D
The return temperature at the boiler governs...
Replies
Views
You've already spent thousands on a new boiler...
Replies
Views
Back