Condensate to waste, and acidity?? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Condensate to waste, and acidity?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blackspaven

Getting a new combi boiler fitted soon as my 14 year old one is on the blink and this is gonna be condensing where the current one isn't. Question is, what would be my options for getting rid of the condensate?

All I've read seems to indicate that internal disposal is better due to potential freezing, but I may be a bit limited. Is there any way of attaching or cutting in to the 110mm horizontal straight waste pipe running from a toilet in the next room which is about 1.5 metres away out the wall to the drains (very loosely, with those self cutting water filtration taps in my mind), otherwise I'm thinking I'll have to go straight out the wall and down to the waste drain.

Also, as it's a victorian house, is there any realistic issue with the existing drains being concrete and the acidity of the condensate eating them or the joins at all... would NOT want a lovely bout of subsidance thanks to boilers going green! (heard it's about as acidic as ketchup, but thought I'd ask those who know. :) )

Cheers

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to ask; am I presuming correctly that pumps are only needed if the run for the condensate pipe is over a certain distance? If I had to rely on going outside and running down the flank wall, I think it'd be a straight diagonally down run of about 2.5 metres, tops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, I'm just the sort of fella who likes to have a bit of understanding before I go into things. :) We all know there's cowboys and as I haven't picked someone to fit it yet I might just be unfortunate and get one, so just trying to minimise the chances, that's all.

As the shortest run, and the only realistic internal one would be to that 110mm waste in the back of the toilet, would I be right in thinking the McAlpine Bosscon110-BL would be what I'm thinking about? (apologies, won't let me post url's for some reason :) )

:D Nah, not worried at all, I just have an enquiring, mechanical mind and like to think about these things and just attempt to make me a more rounded person with a wider knowledge. I'm a fireman by trade so I generally like to work out my own solutions to stuff cos I have to do it under pressure at work. Just asking. :)

As above, let them worry about it. It's what you pay them for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, appreciate that, but it's starting to come across as a little bit of bit of a secret boys club now. :/

The condense can be cut in with some normal fittings to the soil pipe. Your installer will have all of it as standard on the van or delivered to the job.

Yeah, appreciate that, but it's starting to come across as a little bit of bit of a secret boys club now. :/

Problem is we can't tell you that much as you could fit your own gas appliance and no disrespect but most firemen round here think they can fit anything plumbing or electrical

but if it was me I would go into the soil pipe as its internal no risk of freezing

Thank you.

Can you shed any light on the acidity front or if when a pump is generally needed? I get the pump question will be a straightforward one, but just seen varying opinions on the former, hence me asking. Indeed, I knew nothing about it until I came on here and so I presume it might be just based on opinion and experience which is always gonna be better coming from more than one source, ie. the guy who does the work eventually. :)

Problem is we can't tell you that much as you could fit your own gas appliance and no disrespect but most firemen round here think they can fit anything plumbing or electrical

but if it was me I would go into the soil pipe as its internal no risk of freezing

Nope, I absolutely respect that, and yes, I understand where you're coming from with the firemen trying stuff; I DO like to do most stuff for the experience, but this is gas and I'm not stupid or suicidal... I've only just refitted my bathroom and have a large patio to replace old decking in my garden over the may bank holiday so I've got enough on my plate right now... NOT a good time for the boiler to go down! :D

Like I said, this is purely curiousity and wanting to understand things from a mechanical type point of view. Call it an enquiring mind. :)

Won't need a pump, and you sure the drains arnt clay as other than main drainage round here there's no concrete pipes

Apologies, the pump question was more that I was curious as to when you need them; I was pretty sure I wouldn't have to have one, just wondered what circumstances made them a requirement to be fitted, ie. long runs, if it was allowed to go slightly uphill, etc.

Yes, clay not concrete, spot on. I have no idea how/what they're joined with so the comments about acidity made me think.

You will be fine with clay if it's old could be rope and cement or lead etc but you will be fine either way

Yes, clay not concrete, spot on. I have no idea how/what they're joined with so the comments about acidity made me think.

Compared to the crap that normally goes down drains, a bit of condensate is nothing.
It's not like it's pumping out at the same rate as a fire hose.
Old or new glazed pipes and jointing compound or plastic joints can easily take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

https://hhic.org.uk/uploads/5BD6D5A19764A.pdf...
Replies
Views
No play but did manage to get enough with some...
Replies
Views
Just to round this off with what I found here...
Replies
Views
Hi How did you get on with your toilet...
Replies
Views
Well persevered, it is always worth the extra...
Replies
Views
Back