condensing boiler service schedule? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss condensing boiler service schedule? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alibongo

I just had a Gas Safe plumber "service" my Gloworm,I think the boiler knew more about him that he did about it.What parts should be inspected in a newish (12 month) condensing boiler?

Your boiler does as any other boiler require servicing anually. Alot of visual inspectings, water leaks,flue, case integrety,burner seals,condensate drain/trap,safety blow off termination, also gas pressures/rate. The boiler should also have a flue gas analysist done to make sure it's burning correctley. The engineer will also check the safety devices.
A good thorough Gas Safe Engineer does know what they're doing & can make it look easy, he may also spot things about the boiler that are not just part of the mandartory safety checks. On your behalf, it's in your interest to have the boiler serviced yearly,as if you don't you'll find your extended warranty void if not & even worse if left the burner gaskets will leak & melt lots of critical/expensive parts.

He said the flue was within normal limits so didn't need any other checks done.Still cost me £50 cash.Does this sound about right?Thanks for the previous reply.

He should have at least tested the gas rate (how much gas it is burning), the safety devices and carried out a visual inspection. I assume he left paperwork and filled in the benchmark box in the manual? (A bit like the logbook for a car)

I charge more, As long as he's done the neccessary checks, all's good. Strip it & fit New burner seals on year 3 or 4.

£50 is about right, probably a touch on the low side.
Flue gas analysis equipment to test modern condensing boilers is extremely expensive to buy & expensive again to have calibrated each year

Wish I could get my van serviced for £50 a year. £50 for a year's heating seems a bargain to me!

On the flip side I went to service a 12 month old Glowarm Ultracom HXI today and found loads of condensation around the fan, advised the customer to contact Glowarm for a under guarantee visit, no charge made by me. Should have been £66 inc vat .

I service boilers and many engineers may or may not back me up but a few customers expects the absolute world. I do what is needed as per what the customer wants/pays for. if you got your car serviced what would you expect (every panel striped, engined dropped out, g/box out, drained etc etc, doubt it) If the bp was ok, gr was ok, nice and clean, flue combustion all good, clearences, ventalation etc etc , id be well happy with 50 quid

Oh,I am happy with it. I did not expect any work needing doing after 12 months, the engineer was a pleasant chap as well, and I needed a signature to show a 12 month service had been done in the log, for when I sell (if the boiler lasts that long).I was just surprised there was so little to do :just a look at the top of the boiler and a gadget poked at it.Thanks all of you for responding to this thread.

Well done Kev , another gas engineer that tells how it is, Ive done the same , we will never be Millionaires. :yesnod:

"Well done Kev , another gas engineer that tells how it is, Ive done the same , we will never be Millionaires. :yesnod:"
Not for want of trying, sometimes! A few years ago we had an extension built.My son overheard the builder telling the plumber to "find some snags so we can charge some extras, as it is going too smoothly and we will finish within the quote" or words to that effect.When we sacked the plumber after he hit a non-existant snag, he left a slow leak under the floor which needed remedial work a year later, costing a lot.This is all documented as we considered suing, but the builder had gone bust by then, and it was covered by our insurance anyway.I could supply the names if anyone wanted them, but would be reluctant to do so as the plumber has done some good work for us in the past.He was influenced by a more experienced, over-bearing builder. As I say, it's the 99% who tarnish the reputations of the 1%...

Last edited by a moderator:
.As I say, it's the 99% who tarnish the reputations of the 1%...

Are you saying 99% of the guys in the trade (including the ones you are asking advice from on here) are dodgy? or did you just mix up your figures?

Are you saying 99% of the guys in the trade (including the ones you are asking advice from on here) are dodgy? or did you just mix up your figures?
Sorry, CES, I'm being facetious.One of my best mates is a plumber, he can't do gas work but he is very fair and a nice bloke.He could double his money if he was unscrupolous, and if fact often gets "tips" because his prices are reasonable.He also gets a lot of "word of mouth".And I am grateful for all the replies I have had here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, approx. 2-3 hours.
Replies
Views
G
Didn’t grease the oring before refitting...
Replies
Views
Sensocomfort with outside temp sensor. RF or...
Replies
Views
Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated!
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Back