condensing boiler servicing | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss condensing boiler servicing in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

derrybongo

Hi Guys

just interested in how many of you out there are removing and cleaning the burners on the newer combi condensing boilers.
the FGA test showed a ratio of 0.0007 which is well within spec on a 2 year old Vokera 28 HE
the gas rate and burner pressures were all ok so does it merit the 30/40 mins stripping the burner assembly out (which were spotless by the way as i still did it)

Derry

tbh derry are you new to this why would you stick a fga on and get a very very good reading meaning the combustion chamber is spot on and then waste your time stripping and cleaning it??

tbh derry are you new to this why would you stick a fga on and get a very very good reading meaning the combustion chamber is spot on and then waste your time stripping and cleaning it??

To satisfy the pain in the neck customer that chooses to peer over your shoulder every 10 seconds.:D

Newbie is spot on.If fga is spot on, then no need to strip, unless of course you want to make things hard for yourself. Obviously if MI's state a strip then do it. Also most boilers require new gaskets every time the burner is removed.

Graham

Last edited by a moderator:
Because the spark electrode gap needs checked and cleaned and the flame rectification probe needs cleaned !
The small hole going into the condensate drain needs cleaned !

Because the spark electrode gap needs checked and cleaned and the flame rectification probe needs cleaned !
The small hole going into the condensate drain needs cleaned !
Obviously not that new then , wink

I have spoken to a few reps regarding removing the burner , replacing the gasket and wasting time doing so when you have got a good reading with your FGA

most seem to think if it has been commissioned properly in the first place that it could be 2 -3 years to have to remove the burner - as you said it was spatless anyway

but again if you being observed by the customer and the MI state to remove it , as said remove it

hi all

thanks for the replies.
most of my customers have old combi's and i thought that it would be good experience to get some hands on during the servicing and dont feel bad about doing it as the customer see's he is getting value for money and not the in and out in 10 mins and that will be £80 thank you very much

We found that at year 1 especially on Baxi DuoTec and Platinums that the rectification probe and spark electrodes move significantly . Carefully regap and they dont seem to move again

Can someone get rid of CZboiler please, his random advertising posts are doing my head in!

Stripping or not depends for me on what the MI say.
Blocked condensate does not require stripping. Power plunger on the outlet will get rid of the blockage, and a gallon of water from a garden watering can through the flue will rinse the debris out.
I'm done and back on my horse before you know it.

I'm pleased I just read your bit about the water through the flue, I might sound ever so silly here but on a condensing boiler I previously read the instructions for, it stated to clean the condensate trap then refill the trap by refilling with clean water. The MI didn't state where to introduce the water, am I correct in saying that this is where we would fill the trap from to save opening up the casing.

I suppose you could do, or just fill the trap with clean water after cleaning it and then put it back.

In my experience most boilers need servcing infrequently iof set up correclty in the first place. Normally a service is a good all round check, alot different to years ago:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Unfortunately the fitting of a new Venturi did...
Replies
Views
Are you doing it in P1, P2 and checking P1 again?
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
So today the 1.65gph nozzle finally arrived...
Replies
Views
Hi John, This was actually a house I'm...
Replies
Views
Below is a sizing chart based on a heat loss...
Replies
Views
Back