condensing boiler working under pressure? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss condensing boiler working under pressure? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rbuzzy

i was told that a condensing boiler works better under pressure? is this correct?
surley a condensing boiler is a condensing boiler for a reason, and no matter the situation it will still condense?!
im currently looking into fitting a boiler but ive been told to use a 30kw boiler, this house is not small it's got roughly 15 radiators some of wich are of abnormal size, stone walls poorly insulated and arround 60 years old.
Can anyone give any advice??

The boiler should be sized using the whole house calculation. It will work out the correct size of boiler based on the house characteristics. It also depends what type of system. ie combi or conventional boiler. Any decent gas fitter can advise.
No point in fitting a boiler that cannot heat the house or too big a boiler that will cost more and never hit its full potential.

So do we have a theory that as ,over sized rads increase the condensing mode,thus makes more efficient ,so it derives that under-sizing the boiler or out put, to a certain extend has the same effect ?

Would have thought oversizing the radiators will mean the rooms will heat up properly, even in worst of weather, with boiler stat turned low, so help keep boiler condensing. Undersizing the boiler itself would mean risking not heating house properly in mid winter. Modulating gas boilers at least drop their output. However, not good idea to fit too large a fixed output boiler like an oil boiler as it heats up quick but cycles more, unless you lower the output as I would.

Last edited:
Its all about heat transfer. Oversizing the radiators means that the water doesn't have to be as hot to achieve the same rate of heat transfer as there is more surface area available.

Undersizing the boiler would mean that if the peak rate of heat transfer was required, the boiler would be incapable of delivering and so the target temperature would not be able to be attained.

Last edited:
So do we have a theory that as ,over sized rads increase the condensing mode,thus makes more efficient ,so it derives that under-sizing the boiler or out put, to a certain extend has the same effect ?
Think it is more factual than theory now.
I believe for optimum efficiency an approx. 20°C change in the flow & return temp must be achieved. So slightly oversizing the rads would help achieve this. Within reason! Fitting vastly oversize rads is going to cost, so would offset any potential saving.
The main issue is to ensure the boiler is capable of heating the house first, (no point in oversizing either as again it will cost more for no return) then we can look at getting the heat differential.
It's a 3 step procedure, house, boiler, rads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You've already spent thousands on a new boiler...
Replies
Views
    • Love
@Ric2013 your comments about PP and CP are...
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Replies
Views
Just to round this off with what I found here...
Replies
Views
Thank you for the replies. I had another...
Replies
Views
hello, old post but what did you go with in...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 131795
D
Back