Connecting my new shower | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Connecting my new shower in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Need some advice please. Is a metal flexible tap connector suitable for connecting my electric shower to the mains? Many thanks

no needs to be full bore eg 15mm copper/plastic

Upvote 0
Why ?

What is the difference between a tap & a shower, Shaun

most instructions say that will need no added restriction and also if you use a flexi will be like piping up the shower in 10mm (which most dont allow)

Upvote 0
Thanks for your speedy reply. I'm assuming from your response that the stainless steel flexible hoses have a smaller inner bore than a 15mm pipe therefore this would restrict the flow of water?

correct

Upvote 0
youd be best using push-fit copper fittings like cuprofit than flexi hose wich would be considered a bodge!
but hey-oh, a peice of hose with 2 jubilee clips would work also!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
most instructions say that will need no added restriction and also if you use a flexi will be like piping up the shower in 10mm (which most dont allow)

Sorry but am I missing something here? the outlet on an electric shower is smaller than 15mm, the pipework inside the electric shower is a lot smaller than 15mm and the resulting flow rates from an electric shower are considerable less than any other appliance that I know.

So working on the basis of what comes out is all that is required to go in. Why does it have to be 12mm ID pipe?

As it is mains water the flexi would have to be WRAS approved & pressure rated but if the man want to use one I see no reason why not, I personally wouldn't.

Upvote 0
Sorry but am I missing something here? the outlet on an electric shower is smaller than 15mm, the pipework inside the electric shower is a lot smaller than 15mm and the resulting flow rates from an electric shower are considerable less than any other appliance that I know.

So working on the basis of what comes out is all that is required to go in. Why does it have to be 12mm ID pipe?

As it is mains water the flexi would have to be WRAS approved & pressure rated but if the man want to use one I see no reason why not, I personally wouldn't.

Even states in the mis a full bore 15mm Iso valve is required, if you still doubt me

Best to connect it up and then call the manufactur out for a warranty claim and any betting they will say no due to un adequate installation

Upvote 0
I suppose what it is all about is those that understand plumbing & the products used & those that slavishly have to follow the MI,s.

If you can deliver a minimum running pressure of 100kPa (1.0 bar) at a minimum flow rate
of eight litres per minute for the 8.5kW rated model or nine litres per minute for the 9.5kW rated model the shower will work correctly doesn't matter what the delivery system comprises off. (Regulations permitting).

Upvote 0
I suppose what it is all about is those that understand plumbing & the products used & those that slavishly have to follow the MI,s.

If you can deliver a minimum running pressure of 100kPa (1.0 bar) at a minimum flow rate
of eight litres per minute for the 8.5kW rated model or nine litres per minute for the 9.5kW rated model the shower will work correctly doesn't matter what the delivery system comprises off. (Regulations permitting).

Fair enough but your warranty will go out the window and you would have to replace out of your own pocket

And what happens when the flex blows/ starts to leak you have to take a few tiles off to replace it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Elec showers require non restricted connection, Full bore 15mm and compression connection to the shower, why because that's what the MI's ask for they know a lot more a bout the product than you or me so I take there word for it

Upvote 0
Elec showers require non restricted connection, Full bore 15mm and compression connection to the shower, why because that's what the MI's ask for they know a lot more a bout the product than you or me so I take there word for it

Not strictly true. A 9.5kw shower will work perfectly well run off a 10mm pipe. I know cos i fitted a full estate like that (in the days before plastic)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Not strictly true. A 9.5kw shower will work perfectly well run off a 10mm pipe. I know cos i fitted a full estate like that (in the days before plastic)

Weren't there showers made for that back in the day ? Eg mis said they could be run off a 10mm water supply

Upvote 0
I agree with everyone, but would have to be a really good reason to even consider a flexi,
it wont last like a copper tube and is more likely to block or leak.
Would be slightly better if there's 'access' from behind.

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Try Amazon for a range of "bidet" attachments...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have to admit that I don't know what a 60...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
Electrical shower problems I have installed a...
Replies
Views
Johnales
J
  • Question
Many thanks Timmy. That does seem to be the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks Shaun. Really appreciate you taking...
Replies
Views
Back