Connecting to boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Connecting to boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

I have a Worcester 9.24 boiler and am installing a new bathroom so need to tap into the DHW from the boiler and the cold water supply.

I know how to tap into the cold water and how to drain that line but the DHW has no drain cock so was looking for some advise

Thanks

With the supply off, open the highest hot-tap in the building one turn. Then open the lowest hot-tap in the building one turn and and make a note of roughly how much water drains out.

If you need to break in at a height below the lowest tap / drain-point, or in a section that the above procedure won't drain, you'll need some trays / towels, etc. to deal with the last few litres.

Never cut into a pipe without having a plan for what you are going to do if water unexpectly starts spraying out and is going to cause damage. I always keep a hammer within reach so I can stop the flow by flattening the pipe in an emergency. I've never had to do this but it was a trick I learned from watching an old-timer. I asked him why he always had a hammer next to him even though the job didn't need it. He replied "That end is for flattening pipes during a ****-up, this other end is to answer stupid questions."

My advice is that if you needed to ask this question you should consider getting a proper plumber to do the pipework for you.

Last edited:
As above drain via the kitchen taps
I use speed fit caps instead of s hammer

Are you cutting into the heating pipes?

With the supply off, open the highest hot-tap in the building one turn. Then open the lowest hot-tap in the building one turn and and make a note of roughly how much water drains out.

If you need to break in at a height below the lowest tap / drain-point, or in a section that the above procedure won't drain, you'll need some trays / towels, etc. to deal with the last few litres.

Never cut into a pipe without having a plan for what you are going to do if water unexpectly starts spraying out and is going to cause damage. I always keep a hammer within reach so I can stop the flow by flattening the pipe in an emergency. I've never had to do this but it was a trick I learned from watching an old-timer. I asked him why he always had a hammer next to him even though the job didn't need it. He replied "That end is for flattening pipes during a ****-up, this other end is to answer stupid questions."

My advice is that if you needed to ask this question you should consider getting a proper plumber to do the pipework for you.

Haha thanks Chuck! Good story and advise with regards to the hammer! Problem is that getting a proper plumber in is admitting defeat especially as the bathroom has already been plumbed in fully by myself.

I had a good idea what I need to do I just like reassurance before I do things HA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

L
That shouldn't happen. Going to need lots of...
Replies
Views
S
Boiler Fault I’m hoping someone can help with...
Replies
Views
S
It doesn't matter what plumbing you have...
Replies
Views
Great summary and well done for getting it...
Replies
Views
There must be many installations that are in...
Replies
Views
Back