Connection for lead soil pipe please | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Connection for lead soil pipe please in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi chaps, am in need of your expertise again please. What i would really like to do is disconnect the lead completely from the cast iron collor. But am not sure how to connect to the collor. It is not a pan connector that needs to go there but an 110mm piece of soils pipe. lead waste connection.jpg

Also, what are your most expensive mishaps. I have been working in this russians flat in knightsbridge, and all the bath, basin, toiler and shower taps cost £24k. I had taken a lever off a tap and put it on the side of the vanity unit and the site foreman came in and knocked it on the floor, smashing it. The price to replace just the handle....£840. Sickening. I did not know the price when fitting them. He he

Here's a pic of the handle on the left

2012-08-28 08.52.01 smaller 6.jpg

That wall reminds me of a school biology diagram of a woman's reproductive organs:puke:

Would it be possible to heat out the existing joint with a large blowtorch then I am sure you can get a rubber adaptor to fit inside the cast iron socket that connects to 110 mm plastic.

Last edited:
You can get an adaptor for cast iron to plastic that gives you near enough a full bore connection. You can caulk them in with cold caulking compound such as PC4. A few knocks usually loosens the lead or cut it out with a sharp knife if its all lead, more likely though it has got a sweated joint and a thin brass ferrule on the end into the CI. But it is easy enough to get out.

One old trick but a bit "scabby" if you can't get the right connector, is to get a bit of PVC solvent cement and paint the end of a short piece of pipe with it and then throw sand on the wet solvent cement to form a rough surface. Then you can caulk the piece of pipe into the stack with a plastic collar on the end ready to pick up your plastic pipe. Incidentally I think Marley published the method at one time, for connecting to earthen ware drainage so it might be approved somewhere.

If you can't get the caulk Plumbers Mait has been used, but I reckon its a bit unreliable and you go away wondering if it will leak. You can also get Multi Kwik adaptors but I think they restrict the bore to much and block up.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you melt the wiped joint of and clean the end of the brass you can get a new fernco rubber on that
otherwise you can run the joint out of the cast and go into the socket with the pipe or fitting paper gasket and sand and \cement joint

thanks chaps. A few there to look at which i shall do tomorrow and see which is the best method for this perticular job. So far, I like the sound of bernies as it will be the cheapest. Unfortunately, i did not see this when quoting.

Wow, tamz will that go straight into the collor then? quite pricey though. Sometimes now i think of it, rather than spending hrs messing around, it could be better just to pay the price.

Hi steve, I really only want to use a fernco as a last resort

Wow, tamz will that go straight into the collor then? quite pricey though.

thats the list price, you should get a min 50% discount from a merchant that knows you or you have an account with.

Last edited:
thats the list price, you should get a min 50% discount from a merchant that knows you or you have an account with.
travis p stock osma but a better option is drain centre travis even with my discount are still OTT

Wow, tamz will that go straight into the collor then? quite pricey though. Sometimes now i think of it, rather than spending hrs messing around, it could be better just to pay the price.

Only on a 4" cast. They cost under a tenner.

travis p stock osma but a better option is drain centre travis even with my discount are still OTT

i find osma stuff expensive at most places and imo no better in quality to others with a poor range of fittings.

its in a block of flats stories high and serves quite a few flats. So i would have thought it was 4inch. I should have measured it really

to try and help jog your memory ill post a picture of the hole in my wallet where there was once some money....... its goto be about 4 inches and getting bigger.

The idea of a make your own adaptor is only really if you get stuck. Tamz way is best and to be recommended before the solvent cement and sand way it is more professional, but in the past I have found the adaptors pretty hard to get hold of and we have been stuck.

As you know Bernie sometimes you got to do what you got too do and there are many ways to skin a rabbit :smile:

ah ha, i never knew it had what size it is written on the pipe. That is handy information. Thanks tamz

These rubbers, can you buy them fas reducers from 4inch to 31/2? There has to be something out there hey. I know I have no choice but to reduce but, does it reduce the flow that much going from 4 to 31/2

There will be a bit of a reduction but not a lot you can do about it short of replacing the whole stack. You can get a fernco or flex seal coupling to suit.

If it is 3 1/2" there is not a lot you can do to avoid reducing it. A 4" plastic will fit into a 3 1/2" cast collar but there is not enough space around the pipe to get a proper good seal around it. Your best bet probably to stick with a fernco. A 3 1/2" multiqwick will reduce it even more.
If you know how to work lead you could dress the lead into a socket to take the plastic.

so really my only option is to stick with the lead that is there and use a fernco like is already there and connect to my 110 soil pipe. As, I don't know how to dress lead. Bugger. Thanks for all the help guys.

So, could i not put a 110mm pan extension into the collor and connect my 110mm soil with a coupling to the pan extension?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If poss i would run to outside to stack.
Replies
Views
D
Personally, I would coordinate with the other...
Replies
Views
Masood
M
B
In the end i took the rubber grommet thing off...
Replies
Views
brian32128
B
Re: 3 inch cast iron soil pipe out side want...
Replies
Views
Whyme
W
S
could be cut back to 50mm infront of where the...
Replies
Views
Back