Constant water flow noise coming from the stopcock. | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Constant water flow noise coming from the stopcock. in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hello,
I’m renovating a house and I can hear what sounds like water flowing through the seizes up stopcock. I have checked everywhere including the loft but the tank is disconnected and there looks like a new combi has been recently installed anyway. There are no tap or toilet leaks and no visible ceiling water marks. It makes this noise throughout the day when I’m working. However sometimes it stops (rarely).
I’m think that this 1930s property has shared water feeds with the close and perhaps the noise is other water users. Is this assumption likely?
It’s driving me bonkers not knowing the cause.
Can any of you experienced guys throw any light on this.

In any event, you need to get the stop-cock freed-up and working properly.

Next you need to see whether the noise stops/changes when you close it. Do you have a water meter? If so, what is it doing? Does the noise stop when the neighbours are out/asleep?

In any event, you need to get the stop-cock freed-up and working properly.

Next you need to see whether the noise stops/changes when you close it. Do you have a water meter? If so, what is it doing? Does the noise stop when the neighbours are out/asleep?
There are no water meters visible in the close and the neighbours I have spoken to have no idea other than they have a stopcock in the cupboard.
Difficult to know if it stops at night as the property owners haven’t moved in yet.
Until I can find another way of shutting off the water I don’t really want to apply too much force to the stopcock. As it stands now it is proper seized up and probably needs replacing. Unless I can turn off further down stream I’m a bit snookered.

A competent plumber will have the kit and skills needed to replace/repair the seized stopcock without causing a flood. Assuming you are not sharing a private supply, I'd advise seeking advice from your water supply company about the location of their stopcock, what they know about how the individual properties are supplied, and where they think that your responsibility for leaks starts.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Kop, thanks for the reply. No water storage...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The D04FM I think is not certified as being...
Replies
Views
Sounds like the system pump is creating a lot...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Often in this scenario; rather than dig up...
Replies
Views
Back