Convert from solid fuel to LPG with combi boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Convert from solid fuel to LPG with combi boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

A

Alex Goldie

Hi all,
I've just moved into a new house, it current has a solid fuel burner (kiln dried logs and / or smokeless coal nuggets) that is used for heating the radiators and providing hot water. It's my father-in-laws house that we've moved into and he's told me it's "the best" way to heat the place. I'm pretty sure when he says "best" he means "cheapest". Anyway, here's what I'm looking to do:
1 - Rip out the hot water tank and the water tank for the central heating
2 - Fit a combi boiler for both water and central heating
3 - Get a below ground LGP tank to link to the combi boiler.
4 - disconnect the pipes from the fuel burner, but leave the burner in place a feature still connected to flu.

As you might have guessed we're off grid, so mains gas isn't an option and I've been told electric boiler would cost a fortune to run. The above isn't in any sort of order since it would all be getting done at the same time, just listed that way to try and make sure I haven't missed anything. My questions are, is the above a viable option? Any idea of a ballpark / finger in the air idea of what it would cost?

Hope someone can help with this.

Thanks
Alex

Is the heating system capable of a new boiler you might end up going down a new system and rads as the old pipes might not be sound / 1 pipe system

Living in the country, then why not oil? Surely LPG is proportionately expensive. If you have access to "free " wood (i.e. the wood itself is free but you have to do the conversion from tree to 12" split, dry log) then solid fuel is a lovely way to heat the house. Nice even heat for 24hrs per day makes for a very comfortable life.
I still regret (a bit) changing from a Trianco gravity feed boiler to oil. Anthracite is cheap enough here (we are near several private drift mines with excellent coal) but age (both in our 70's) & boiler needing welding resulted in the change. Head ruling heart as it were, but I'd never be without a stand alone wood stove, as long as I'm physically capable.

Similar plumbing topics

System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Hi , At the risk of hijacking this thread I am...
Replies
Views
steve wake
S
C
You could prob have two circuits joined by a...
Replies
Views
Bypass issue? I would certainly call Veissmann...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back