Converting gravity hw to fully pumped....question? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Converting gravity hw to fully pumped....question? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigcheese

Gas Engineer
I am 1 day into a 2 day job which includes changing radiator valves and a few other things, but mainly I am converting a gravity water pumped heating system to fully pumped.

This is what I have done so far. The boiler is floor standing in the kitchen with 28mm gravity circs going up to coil in cylinder. Heating circs are inaccessible at the back of the boiler. The pump is currently in the front of the boiler. I am utilising the gravity circs and changin it to a Y plan. Flow from boiler into airing cupboard - air seperator - pump - bypass - 3 port valve into coil and existing heating pipes.

My question is as follows :-

I would normally cap the old heating circs at the back of the boiler, but I can't get to these at all. They disappear into the floor. I have tried to pick them up upstairs to no avail. Only place they could come up is in a bedroom with expensive wooden floor, and customer has said this is a no go. Instead of capping them at the back of the boiler, would the system still work if I capped them off where the pump is in the front of the boiler?

Many thanks for reading this, and I apologise for rambling.

Any advice would be most welcome
icon_thumleft.gif

Hi, A lot of assumption, but if the system is feeding rads on both ground and first floor, its most likely that the pipe sizing has been designed from the existing boiler position. Stabbing into the first floor heating circuit may well effect the performance of the heating system. Good Luck

Why change it to a Y plan.
Why not just put a second pump on the 28mm circs near the HW cylinder, but first reduce the pipe to 22mm.
Leave the original pump on the CH.

would a boiler inter-link work? a 2 channel time clock ect so that when hot water is selected the boiler heats, pump stays off and hw stills heats by gravity? just curious is it an oil boiler?

Why not just put a second pump on the 28mm circs near the HW cylinder, but first reduce the pipe to 22mm.
Leave the original pump on the CH.
I agree. This is equivalent to the Grundfos Pumpplan - two pumps feed from a common source. Each pump acts as its own zone valve. Just make sure the hot water pump is set to the lowest speed and there is a balancing valve on the hot water circuit - otherwise it will grab all the circulation.

would a boiler inter-link work? a 2 channel time clock ect so that when hot water is selected the boiler heats, pump stays off and hw stills heats by gravity? just curious is it an oil boiler?

Yes you can. I have done this to my Gas boiler setup, with gravity hot water and pumped heating. Using the time clock outputs for CH and DW, I have connected a cylinder stat to the DW output, which then controls power to the hot water components, and the room stat is connected to the CH output to control the heating components.

Colin

Yes you can. I have done this to my Gas boiler setup, with gravity hot water and pumped heating. Using the time clock outputs for CH and DW, I have connected a cylinder stat to the DW output, which then controls power to the hot water components, and the room stat is connected to the CH output to control the heating components.

Colin
But surely when you put "just" the heating on the hot water gets heated still by gravity?.

You still get a small amount of heat input, but not too much. If you want none at all, it would be possible to fit a control valve on the inlet side to stop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Everything working fine on PP mode - thanks...
Replies
Views
Builders innit, make'em pay.
Replies
Views
That's either the VCP method or the combined...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a...
Replies
Views
200% won’t be the reason the cylinder isn’t...
Replies
Views
Back