Converting to sealed system and expansion vessel vessel sizing | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Converting to sealed system and expansion vessel vessel sizing in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

westyvip

Hi,

I have just started a job where the system requires converting to a sealed system as customer wants to remove tanks from loft. I am just wondering where the expansion vessel is best fitted? Boiler is in garage so plenty of space. Does it need fitting on return? Never actually converted a system before so just a bit unsure! Also, how do i calculated the required size of expansion vessel? what size should i fit?

Dont do anything til you have read MI and see if boiler is compatible with sealed system

if it aint, DONT BOTHER

it is, its only a few year old glowworm ultacom hxi. Im confident doing the work, just not on sizing the vessel!

MI actually states to fit on flow near inlet of pump..
i have had this conversation on here and got accussed of not been competant because i asked the question should expansion go on flow or return,mi said flow but the return seemed to be favourable to most as for sizing there are sizing charts etc to use not to difficult

id bet on about 18L
you can buy kits that come with combined prv, filling loop and expansion vessel

any downside to oversizing vessel? Reason i ask is because gloworm ultracom 2 sxi system boiler only has 8 litre expansion vessel in.

Last edited by a moderator:
any downside to oversizing vessel? Reason i ask is because gloworm ultracom 2 sxi system boiler only has 8 litre expansion vessel in.

Won't hurt anyone. Just take up more space

It matters not a jot where it goes tbh.

My general rule of thumb though is always put it in the return or if it's going on the flow then id fit it between boiler and zone valves. Ie not after the zone valves on the flow

8litre does most 2/3 bed flats/houses, if it's quite a large house then I'd go for 12litre

Fitted on the return keeps the heat off it a bit and helps the diaphragm last a bit longer but it can be fitted on the flow or return doesn't make much odds.

Yea, fit it on return if possible - less heat & also recommended often by expansion vessel makers who usually say " on return, on suction side of pump & no valve to be put on pipe to vessel. " Also, some say to use an auto vent on pipe to vessel if it is on a high position, where air cannot get out.
Better the vessel is close to boiler & PRV should be at boiler always. Use the kit as has been said & that may make it simple, but the filling point can be anywhere handy on system, provided a pressure gauge is there too.

also if the vessel is slightly oversized, then there will be little or no increase in pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

R
thanks mate.
Replies
Views
rahul sood
R
P
It's in the WB installation instructions under...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a...
Replies
Views
Correct system return Filling loop...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Back