copper buried under ground? | Ground Sourced Heat Pumps | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss copper buried under ground? in the Ground Sourced Heat Pumps area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballandco

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hello guys,got a job comeing up,basically a customer has brought a place and he wants a granny flat at the end of his garden,the builder is sorting that,there is an external gas meter,I have to T off that,run about 12 meters around the building,dropping down the wall,then run it through a trench,my question is can i run it in copper through the trench or shall i use the yellow polypipe stuff?
Another question is will they have to have a seperate meter for the granny flat or will they allow it to run off existing one,as he isnt renting it out (think his mother is going to live in it)
thanks in advance

there is no need for a seperate meter but the one meter must be capable of passing sufficent gas for the apliances its intending to run
also remeember the pipework has to be sized correctly so there is less than 1mb of drop in working preasure to all appliances

No need for a new meter unless your customer wants to rent it out privately in the future (with council's permission of course ;) ). You can include bills but a customer of mine did this and his tenant used to leave the heating on even in summer! Drove him mad!

Hello guys,got a job comeing up,basically a customer has brought a place and he wants a granny flat at the end of his garden,the builder is sorting that,there is an external gas meter,I have to T off that,run about 12 meters around the building,dropping down the wall,then run it through a trench,my question is can i run it in copper through the trench or shall i use the yellow polypipe stuff?
Another question is will they have to have a seperate meter for the granny flat or will they allow it to run off existing one,as he isnt renting it out (think his mother is going to live in it)
thanks in advance

TBH this is quite a basic question from CCN1, but yes you can run in copper, suitably protected depending on the material it is going through, and at a suitable depth depending what is above the pipe, ie grass, vehicular access, or pedestrian access or concrete, there is no requirement for a secondary meter as long as someone pays for all the gas via the primary meter already fitted, depends on the agreement between the person paying the gas bill and the granny, and sometime fitting a secondary meter causes an issue with delivery pressure as you can lose 4mb through the meter

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch your pipe sizing as 12m around the walls then distance through a trench and on to the appliance plus the fittings will be quite a bit of resistance. You may need 28mm.
22mm plastic coated is around £200 for a 20m coil.
A coil of mdpe is a lot cheaper but you will need the correct fittings which will bump the price up a bit.
Remember you will need an aecv at the granny flat too.

A 25m roll of 32mm MDPE is about £30-40, the fittings are about a tenner each. Don't forget to get them in galvanised!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Gottit! Thanks Chris.
Replies
Views
Fair enough. But anything that IS written...
Replies
Views
Purpose designed duct it is. Be interesting to...
Replies
Views
M
A U6 shouldn't be a problem but a 16 probably...
Replies
Views
T
D
Replies
Views
Back