corgi guys .gazco gas fire ..questions | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss corgi guys .gazco gas fire ..questions in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buffy27

whats the craic
lad asked me to help him with information on a gas fire.i will not be installing it as i am not qualified to do so . he feels comfortable in doing it himself but isn t certain on some aspects, cos the instructions are pretty vague he said.
he basically wants to run the fire off a bottle of propane- is this ok.only talks of natural or lpg supplies on booklet.
what will he need on the line from the bottle to fire - any safety devices needed?
the pipe is 10 mm copper tubing, but he thinks the fire gas inlet is 8 or 6 mm compression{nut and ring}, is there a standard size???. it runs off batteries he said. would this b correct? he is fitting it in an old fire place, and he s hoping to simply run a short piece of flue from the top of fire up into the old chimney stack.is this ok. he says a neighbour of his installed a similar fire with no problems. i am aware he should have a registered guy do the work,but this lad thinks he can do any thing.at the same time i wouldn t like to c him make a mess of it.he s living a fare distance away .i can only advise him over the phone. please give us a dig out. cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy yourself a black tie. You'll be attending this guys funeral if he carries on and fits it.

There are strict rules on positioning for lpg cylinders, away from untrapped drains, openings into the building etc. He'll need some sort of regulator incorporating and upso/opso valve fitted to the wall. The pipework will need to be run to an isolation valve prior to the fire. The chimney will need to be swept before the fire is installed. Any additional flue wil need to be suitable for the appliance.

Is he aware of tightness testing procedures for lpg, does he know how to carry out a flue flow and spillage test? Is he aware of the different materials requirements for lpg as compared to natural gas. LPG is damaging to some materials.

Mike

Buy yourself a black tie. You'll be attending this guys funeral if he carries on and fits it.

There are strict rules on positioning for lpg cylinders, away from untrapped drains, openings into the building etc. He'll need some sort of regulator incorporating and upso/opso valve fitted to the wall. The pipework will need to be run to an isolation valve prior to the fire. The chimney will need to be swept before the fire is installed. Any additional flue wil need to be suitable for the appliance.

Is he aware of tightness testing procedures for lpg, does he know how to carry out a flue flow and spillage test? Is he aware of the different materials requirements for lpg as compared to natural gas. LPG is damaging to some materials.

Mike
thanks mike. i knew it was not a good idea.i spoke to him a few minutes ago and re iterated this to him. as i said gas is not a strong point with me but am very keen to learn more.my final stage at fas will be pretty much 10 weeks of gas.no gas in my area unfortunetly.
any way, i understand the idea of the bottle position.he has a low pressure regulator which he got when he bought the bottle of propane. he has a rubber hose with jubilee clips from regulator to a 10 mm valve which in turn is connected to a 10mm copper tubing.he also intends to put a valve next to the fire .he intends turning this off when hot in use.
can t do anything but advice him.
for my own curiosity whats an upso/opso valve and use.
how and what type of materials can lpg damage.
mike thanks a million .thanks for giving me your time , appreciate it.

Natural rubber is damaged by LPG so different hoses are required for cookers etc. You can't use brass olives on LPG. The tightness testing procedures are different for LPG. You also can't fit an LPG appliance in a basement.

If you're doing gas it's worthy doing the changeover to LPG as that's available in rural areas.

Mike

evening buffy 27,has your mate got his dates mixed up? its friday the 13th next week
To many faults to mention here, this would make for a good television advert for the new gas safety register.if you dont have the correct pressure testing equipment your mate dies its that simple gas fire operates at 20mbar for nat gas where incoming is about 26-7mbar Lpg can come through at 20 bar if incoreect installation occurs it is possible to burn out an injector in miutes then the fire will be white hot in a couple of more minutes, left unattended house goes a couple of minutes later'
Even if its never switched on please be aware that lpg is a mild narcotic and contiued exposure to it will lead to firstly a state of anaesthesia. Prolonged inhalation of high concentrations will cause asphyxiation. Be a mate to your mate, take him for a pint or two and talk him out of it and call in a pro live to fight another day.. keep safe matey

whats the craic.
lads i hear what your savin . my buddy lives in galway which is a long ways from me. i spoke with him last night and he insisted his neighbour installed the same type of set up around 3 years ago and it works a treat.{from his neighbour he got the idea} lads i know little about gas ,but what are the chances of it leaking if it is tested once its hooked up.if he has a regulator and isolating valve at bottle and fire.
i am not for a second underestimating the dangers here, from what ye have told me i am wary about even using a cigerette lighter from now on .

Damn good chance of a leak using jubilees to hold tubing onto fittings or pipe that's not intended to take a hose. Hose will be subject to degradation where it's exposed to the elements. Once you've got over the chances of a gas leak you then move onto CO poisoning from flue problems.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Something as simple as turning the power off...
Replies
Views
There's nothing wrong with external boilers...
Replies
Views
T
He turned it off Scott.
Replies
Views
Tommmmmmm
T
By restriction I mean testing from a gas valve...
Replies
Views
M
Moved off open forum.
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Back