Correct expansion vessel pressure? | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Correct expansion vessel pressure? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
A few days I got my crappy Ideal boiler replaced by a Viessmann Vitodens 100 16kw boiler (heat only) and couldn't be happier....the Viessmann is super quiet (just a gentle hum) and it heats up water super fast.

I have a question regarding the external expansion vessels i have upstairs next to my hot water cyclinder. When the house was built in 2008, the builder said i should keep the pressure at 1.5 bars in the red expansion vessel and this has always been maintained, over the years any plumbers which have worked on my plumbing have agreed this pressure is about right. However the plumber who installed the Viessmann boiler set the pressure to 1 bar, when i asked him why he said the boiler installation instructions said the pressure should be set to 0.8 bars. What were to happen if i increased the pressure to 1.5 bars? Reason is that the taps seem to have slightly less pressure, would like to get my old flow rate back!

FYI i have a sealed, pressurised water system.

Cheers :)

Hi,
A few days I got my crappy Ideal boiler replaced by a Viessmann Vitodens 100 16kw boiler (heat only) and couldn't be happier....the Viessmann is super quiet (just a gentle hum) and it heats up water super fast. Good stuff, so have I

I have a question regarding the external expansion vessels i have upstairs next to my hot water cyclinder. When the house was built in 2008, the builder that was the problem the builder said said i should keep the pressure at 1.5 bars in the red expansion vessel and this has always been maintained, over the years any plumbers which have worked on my plumbing have agreed this pressure is about right. However the plumber who installed the Viessmann boiler set the pressure to 1 bar,1Bar is more than enough when i asked him why he said the boiler installation instructions said the pressure should be set to 0.8 bars. What were to happen if i increased the pressure to 1.5 bars? The heating expansion vessel will not be able to take up as much expansion in the system Reason is that the taps seem to have slightly less pressure, would like to get my old flow rate back! The charge pressure of the heating expansion vessel has absolute nothing to do with the cold or hot water pressure or flow rate, They are separate systems.

FYI i have a sealed, pressurised water system.

Cheers :)

Hi Please see bold text above.
The vessel pressure charge is determined by the static system head pressure above the vessel. Most systems & boilers require a minimum of 0.8 bar or 8Metres head of water in the system so 1 bar is normal in a two story house. 1.5bar especially on the top floor is too much IMHO but it does depend on the size of the vessel & its pre-charge pressure.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
So in a nutshell, it's been set correctly.

The pressure at your taps is unrelated. But check your stopcock under the sink has been opened fully.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

it is brand new ( 6 months old ) Worcester gas...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
D
Hi all, My pressure is stable at 1.5 when...
Replies
Views
Damo666
D
A
As above 1 bar is more than enough vallants...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a...
Replies
Views
Pin hole leak on suction side of pump.
Replies
Views
Back