Cost of a powerflush - answered my own question LOL! | Plumbers Arms | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Cost of a powerflush - answered my own question LOL! in the Plumbers Arms area at Plumbers Forums

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Solutions
I'm was struggling to get my head around the cost of a powerflush. If I add up the various costs...

Let's say you use 1 litre X400 or equivalent = £25
1 dose of DS40 or X800 or equivalent = £20
1 litre inhibitor = £15
10 hours' labour = £250 but depends on region
1 callout to put X400 in = £60 but depends on region
Cost of having a flushing pump and filter = £70 (based on hypothetical hire charge, but I own my own filter)

This comes to £440. I was going to say that this is far less than the going rate of a powerflush which I understand to be £450 plus... but it all adds quite precisely. So my question no longer stands.

Yes, I charge £450 for an average house but I don't include any guarantee, if I did it would be more like £600.
If I'm doing it as part of a larger job like changing rads or new boiler I discount by £100 as there is some crossover (and I use my diy/redneck powerflush machine).

Don't know if they still do but BG used to offer a lifetime guarantee with a powerflush, prob just an excuse to do a half-arsed job first time round tho.

I sourced a turbine pump with very similar flow and pressure rating as a commercial machine (not temp rating but was only £75 so will see how it does) and i just use an old header tank as a break tank along with magnaclense. Also found a 4port butterfly valve so will get round to adding flow reversal too.
Added benefit is that I can plumb magnetic filter in on powerflush side so I don't reverse flow through that

£300 for day, cost of chemicals plus 30%, initial dosing of cleaner plus £60 for using my machine. Normally works out about £450 for an average house.

Used to do plenty before I bought my own machine, since then done 4 or 5.

Don't know if they still do but BG used to offer a lifetime guarantee with a powerflush, prob just an excuse to do a half-arsed job first time round tho.
Had a look on their website. They guarantee they will continue to keep the system clean provided you also pay for boiler cover from them. So basically, since the system was cleanish when the boiler cover started, they will keep it clean as part of the boiler cover. They call it a guarantee on the powerflush. Ho hum.

I sourced a turbine pump with very similar flow and pressure rating as a commercial machine (not temp rating but was only £75 so will see how it does) and i just use an old header tank as a break tank along with magnaclense. Also found a 4port butterfly valve so will get round to adding flow reversal too.
Added benefit is that I can plumb magnetic filter in on powerflush side so I don't reverse flow through that
Yes, definitely the Kamco design has flaws and one is that it keeps filling the break tank with mucky return water. You presumably will have your filter on the return to the break tank?

£300 for day, cost of chemicals plus 30%, initial dosing of cleaner plus £60 for using my machine. Normally works out about £450 for an average house.

Used to do plenty before I bought my own machine, since then done 4 or 5.
Sod's law!

Similar plumbing topics

A
Replies
Views
T
Youre boiler at the mo is a 24KW boiler, ideal...
Replies
Views
R
thanks for the replies, so you have to renew...
Replies
Views
robertwo
R
C
the 200w is a very efficient boiler and with...
Replies
Views
ecowarm
E
Back