Could 4 bar static pressure prevent shower off combi getting hot enough? | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Could 4 bar static pressure prevent shower off combi getting hot enough? in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Or rather it gets hot enough but only when turned to almost full hot or higher. With the taps if you turn them on a little it's very hot, turn them on full and it's almost cold.

Would a PRV be first thing to try? Or could it be something wrong with boiler?

Shower is new so not cartridge adding to issue.

Thanks

Last edited:
whats the flow and temperature rise?
whats the boiler doing when the shower is on?
is there a control to limit the flow through the shower?

Upvote 0
whats the flow and temperature rise?
whats the boiler doing when the shower is on?
is there a control to limit the flow through the shower?

not sure
sounds like it's firing and working normally but not gas safe so not clued up enough on that side of things
nope. but it's rated for 1 bar min to 5 bar max when in use, 10 when not so presuming 4 static shouldn't be an issue? it's a mira combiforce.

Upvote 0
would a flow restrictor fitted to shower hose have the same effect as fitting a PRV? even though the taps struggle (too hot when on slightly, too cold when on full) i don't think they're that fussed about them.

Upvote 0
You need to check the temperature rise at a certain flow rate and then make sure it matches the manufacturers instructions. Do any other taps have this problem or is it just the shower?

Upvote 0
what size combi in installed?

Upvote 0
Not sure, did look at it but don't really know what I'm looking for. It's a very small bungalow though.

as normally if combi only has a flow rate of 10 (heating) and say your flow rate incoming is 20 etc it cant heat the water fast enough,

this is why it may heat the water when the tap is half closed but not when its fully open

Upvote 0
as normally if combi only has a flow rate of 10 (heating) and say your flow rate incoming is 20 etc it cant heat the water fast enough,

this is why it may heat the water when the tap is half closed but not when its fully open

Yeah I was thinking something like that. They've got a boiler bloke coming to do something shortly anyway so I told them to ask him if it could be anything to do with boiler. If he says no I guess a PRV might be worth a shot?

Upvote 0
Yeah I was thinking something like that. They've got a boiler bloke coming to do something shortly anyway so I told them to ask him if it could be anything to do with boiler. If he says no I guess a PRV might be worth a shot?

only prob prv reduces pressure and not flow rate which i think is your problem

Upvote 0
i just tell myself pressure is how much it wants to get out of the pipe, flow is how fast it does when it gets it's chance. but i would have thought fitting a prv would automoatically reduce flow too....?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I like the iso+flow restrictor.

That'd presumably be a good retro fit for when people have turned down an individual iso (like on a tap to a small cloakroom basin) but it then becomes noisy

Upvote 0
I like the iso+flow restrictor.

That'd presumably be a good retro fit for when people have turned down an individual iso (like on a tap to a small cloakroom basin) but it then becomes noisy

just need to find the flow rate of the boiler now so you can match them up, then all you need to do is install them onto the shower pipes

Upvote 0
Think it's going to come down to what boiler is producing, if it's a old style combi poss. 24Kw flow rate is going to be low around 8/9 lts pr min + the factor the incoming cold water temp is quite low this time of year, so boiler struggles to reach + maintain water temp.

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I don't see your comments?
Replies
Views
  • Question
Sounds like boiler flow switch. Had the exact...
Replies
Views
  • Question
What a good idea.
Replies
Views
  • Question
No problem with reducing flow rates. The...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hot and cold crossed somewhere? Or would this...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back