Counter Top Basin Installation | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Counter Top Basin Installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have built a custom tiled basin stand for my travertine bowl. See attached photos.

I am looking for some advice on how to install the basin with regards to the fitment of the basin waste and how to attach the basin to the counter top.

Note: At the moment the travertine tile (and tap) on the top has not been fixed as yet.

Under the tile top is 12mm of cement board and then 18mm plywood.

I have an unslotted click clack waste.

Can anyone confirm or advise on the following:

Option 1

1) I fit the waste as usual to the basin.
2) Drill a hole, larger than the waste diameter, through the tile top to accomodate the waste exiting with the allowance for the extra diameter of the back nut.
3) Continue the hole for the waste through the cement board and plywood but keep to the diameter of the waste
4) Silicon the basin down to the countertop
5) Possibly use an additional back nut to further secure the waste and basin to the underside of the plywood. Might be overkill!

Option 2

1) I fit the waste as usual to the basin.
2) Drill a hole, larger than the waste diameter, through the tile top, cement board and plywood to accomodate the waste exiting with the allowance for the extra diameter of the back nut.
3) Silicon the basin down to the countertop
4) Possibly use an additional back nut and a custom cut larger washer to further secure the waste and basin to the underside of the plywood. Might be overkill!

If I chose option 1 then the possible problem I can forsee is that if there was any leak and it was occuring from the bottom of the basin then I would have to remove the whole of the basin to get access because the backnut would be sitting in the recess of the tile top but with option 2 I would have access to the back nut from underneath.

Or are there any other options I should consider?

I know the backnut for the waste has got to be fitted directly to the base of the basin otherwise there would be no seal other than the one inside the basin. I think?!

IMAG0107.jpgIMAG0108.jpg

I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks in advance,

Daz

drill/cut a hole in the tiles big enough for the back nut and giving some room to get a grip on the nut.
seal all the edges of the boards, so they don't swell if there's a leak
fit waste to basin and silicone to tiles

drill/cut a hole in the tiles big enough for the back nut and giving some room to get a grip on the nut.
seal all the edges of the boards, so they don't swell if there's a leak
fit waste to basin and silicone to tiles

So you are saying to drill a big hole through tiles, cement board and plywood then? As in option 2?

So you are saying to drill a big hole through tiles, cement board and plywood then? As in option 2?

yes because when the basin is stuck down you need to have access to the waste fitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Or use one of these Basin Waste Seal Kit |...
Replies
Views
Yeah it's normal.
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
What's wrong with tray on floorboards? If for...
Replies
Views
N
https://www.jk-gb.com/ Look at this as an option
Replies
Views
Gnorw er’uoy
G
It couldn't have gone better. Used 5 metal...
Replies
Views
Back