Couple of Questions for Installers | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Couple of Questions for Installers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

arran197

Gas Engineer
I'm repair engineer and I've never really done any full installation work before.

I need to put a full central heating system in my dad's house he's buying. Currently there's just a gas meter and electric heaters, so it really is a blank canvass! My dad wants the gas pipe running in the wall, so what's the best way to do this? The house needs re-plastering in the lounge behind where the gas meter box is, so I need to put the gas pipe in there and run it up the wall to the bedroom, along the landing and to the airing cupboard. The bedroom, landing and airing cupboard will all be ok, but I want to make sure I do everything correctly in the wall.

Next, he wants the heating pipe concealed and would prefer to do it in plastic. Now I'm not a fan of either tbh, I prefer surface mounted copper. But I was wondering what is the best way to run the plastic and do I just use tees off the copper for the drops?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Boiler will most likely be a Baxi Duo Tec 28 or 33 HEA.

Hmm, if it was my parents place i would put the pipe in abit of boxing, combine to for a drop in the room too.

I used plastic for the first time on an install yesterday, I used speedfit t,s then into copper for the rad tails and drops, it all pressurised ok with no leaks so im assuming all is ok no phonecalls as yet ;-{

If you're starting completely from scratch, I'd be using a 15mm manifold system on plastic to cut down on fittings.

22mm the customer had allready started piping the job themsleves and given up, so we took over where they left off, ive always been dubious about plastic [erhaps from negative opinions of a former employer but having used it it seems ok

If you're starting completely from scratch, I'd be using a 15mm manifold system on plastic to cut down on fittings.

Not only to cut down on fittings but if it is to be buried isn't it meant to be in one length and ducted so it can be removed for inspection if required! No fittings in wall / floor.

Also if the gas is to be buried in the wall it should be protected from mechanical damage, not got my viper book next to me!! but I always fit gas that is to be buried in iron pipe, as it saves having to sleeve it in steel pipe for protection. I'm sure some one will correct me if i'm mistaken!!

Not only to cut down on fittings but if it is to be buried isn't it meant to be in one length and ducted so it can be removed for inspection if required! No fittings in wall / floor.

Also if the gas is to be buried in the wall it should be protected from mechanical damage, not got my viper book next to me!! but I always fit gas that is to be buried in iron pipe, as it saves having to sleeve it in steel pipe for protection. I'm sure some one will correct me if i'm mistaken!!

your wrong doesnt have to be in steel has to be wrapped or coated and plastered tight so theres no gaps for gas to accumalate in

My bad!!

It only needs to be Protected in 1mm steel shield if installed in timber frame, dry lined on battens or dot and dab dry lined!!

I have always covered myself by using steel pipe for all buried and chased in gas pipe work, may be over kill but the chances of accidentally drilling 1/2" steel is very minimal!!

Hanging a kitchen unit, thought I hit a hard brick . Giving it big guns with 6mm sds. Chipped plaster off thankfully it was a steel tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi all, hope this is okay to post. Just over...
Replies
Views
Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
(cont'd) Anyway, fairly keen for someone to...
Replies
Views
Experience tells me 10mm won't be enough but...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Doesn’t really answer any of my questions but...
Replies
Views
Back