Creating a vacuum on a sealed system? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Creating a vacuum on a sealed system? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

tolly

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi there, Is it possible to create a vacuum on a sealed system like you can do on a open vented system where you can cap the OV and bung the CF to create a vacuum. I'm guessing it's not possible, but i would like to know the science behind it :)

sorry for a novice question!

Tolly

as dancinplumba said just drop the pressure on the system, then as long as no rads are vented elsewhere on the system you will be fine to work on it

thanks for the speedy replys,

So are you saying, On a sealed system...If i connected a hose to a DOC without opening any Rad bleed vents and slowly opened the DOC it would create a vacuum.

I know from doing it on a OV system that a bit of water is discharged before the vacuum takes a hold, Is it about the same amount of water on a sealed system or does it depend on Volume of water and the pressure its under?

I only ask as im sure ive drained down sealed systems before without opening any bleed vents, just with a hose on the DOC.

Or am i mistaken?

Yeah or prv it although could open up a can of worms with it not seating correctly again after.

I only ask as im sure ive drained down sealed systems before without opening any bleed vents, just with a hose on the DOC.

Or am i mistaken?
You couldn't have drained down a sealed system without opening vents, - it would only have taken the pressure off the water in the system.
If you want to create a vacumn in sealed heating, just make sure there are no auto vents anywhere - or close the caps on any & also only slacken one point of system as if you do two connections at once, then one will allow air to enter.

There is usually an auto vent on the boiler.
That is not a problem if the pipes rise off it.

thanks tamz, i allready thought of that....i thought i would just turn off the isolation valves underneath the boiler (providing it has them), after turning off boiler and controlls that is.

Last edited:
Don't touch the valves. Most will leak when you set them back.
If the pipes rise it will be fine.
If they fall it "might" be fine for a while but don't depend on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
How much heat do you want to transfer? Here...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
O
Sorry all. Been a manic few days. Thanks to...
Replies
Views
OddJobRob
O
  • Question
Hello Sergiu I would use it, but it's hard to...
Replies
Views
I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
Back