Creating a vacuum on CH pipe runs. | Plumbers Arms | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Creating a vacuum on CH pipe runs. in the Plumbers Arms area at Plumbers Forums

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
I do this regularly to change a leaky/broken radiator valve, usually without issue.

Sometimes I do this to change a rad, even if changing valves / altering pipework, do one side at a time, usually without issue but sometimes (especially if piped on drops it seems) get air problems.

My question is ...for the latter, and perhaps especially on drops, is doing this more likely to get air in system then just draining fully down and refilling methodically? I used to just drain down but started doing it this way a few years back as imagined it would not only be quicker but disturb the system less and so maybe make problems like air less likely. But I'm not sure what I was basing it on.

Recently done a few rad changes on drops via this method and get lots of air to persuade out. Wondering if should just go back to drain downs.

Cheers

The vacuum method is hit and miss at times.

If you're comfortable doing it, then keep doing it.
Nothing is infallible, so you are always going to end up with some problems

I wouldn't say so drops have a habit of locking up you simply turn off the rads that get hot and it usually clears it , I use your method sometimes it can be a bit challenging . Kop

Similar plumbing topics

I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
If I have a vented system choked up badly I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Red circles show my new AAVs and the manual...
Replies
Views
Back