Custom basin waste fitting - what material to use | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Custom basin waste fitting - what material to use in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andrew2000

Hello,

Q - Which is better for a CUSTOM basin waste - PVC or Aluminium?

For 2 disabled colleagues I am considering a custom basin waste fitting (I am both Eng & Ergonomist).

Conventional solutions:
- Extends about 94mm below the basin, which even with a low height basin (115mm) only leaves a couple of inches leg clearance.
- Involves several fittings to knuckle bend & drop from 1-1/2" down to 3/4" hose barb re typical pumped application.

Alternative solution:
- Extends 45mm below the basin.
- Involves no extra fittings, has integral side outlet 3/4" hose barb.

CADing this out is trivial.

I have emailed WRAS (not a legal requirement, but may have some info) about what materials I can use.
- PVC is easy - and trivial to bond a hose barb into
- Delrin is easy - and a bit more involved re choice of adhesive
- Aluminium is easy
- Brass is expensive

For some reason I can not recall seeing aluminium in waste plumbing, only PVC (& ubiquitous ABS PP) and Brass.

Ironic only the USA has come up with a back outlet Inset "vanity" basin, that is from ADA beating someone with a hose... there is a large market globally for a few niche (read UK manufacturer could run off) basins. I remember the quality of Royal Doulton toilets... now there was a well made throne.

id use brass or stainless steel.

alu is probably not used due to reactions to soap and cleaning chemicals, maybe??

Last edited:
id use brass or stainless steel.
alu is probably not used due to reactions to soap and cleaning chemicals, maybe??

Yes, I think chemicals might be it re aluminium.

Brass is much cheaper to buy & machine than stainless. However I am warming to PVC as it is broadly used and this is not an application subject to high pressure, underground, UV exposure or high temperature (TMV).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, I know this has been asked a...
Replies
Views
you can do it as you describe with the hepvo...
Replies
Views
kay-jay
K
Back