customer avoiding paying. | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss customer avoiding paying. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently fitted a boiler for a new customer landlord in a new property hes bought. we agreed on a price on completion of job but he had to leave half way through the job leaving his labourer at the property. When i was about to finish the labourer got a call from his boss saying he wasnt going to be back and to send him my bank details over and hed pay me that day. Its been a week now and he keeps saying he will send me the money that day or the day after but still nothing. This is the first Time this has happened to me how do i go about getting payment from this person.

What does it say in your t&c's on the contract you got him to sign?

I think it doesn't matter too much what agreement you have in writing, if any, because if he decides not to pay you then it's Small Claims Court as last resort.
Just keep asking for the money politely & send an invoice & further statements if not paid.

Do you have an address for him? Go and see him face to face. Far harder for him to bluff you off in person.

Hi there mate, don't panic just yet as only a week, keep contacting him and send him an email or letter staing he has so many days to complete payment,

I always get a 50% deposit upfront which mitigates the risk. Not much you can do in this situation other than small claims court as suggested....but even if you win, you might not get all your money. Having a contract signed, as Croppie suggests, tends to focus the customer and you're less likely to get the crooked customer. Good luck.

Ive got his address off his labourer. Im gunna give him a ring tomorrow if no joy im gunna go round his house i think.

Something you said earlier just leapt out at me.

I didnt get anything signed. Ive never use contracts on private work.

I take it you've got your own gas registration and insurances? And that you declare this work?

This could be something he'd have you over a barrel over.....

Ive got his address off his labourer. Im gunna give him a ring tomorrow if no joy im gunna go round his house i think.
phone him from outside his home say you're coming round in half an hour, give it five minutes and knock the door unless of course he's not in lol

When you register the boiler, get the cert sent to your address and then only pass it on when you have payment. I would give him benefit of the doubt and give him a couple of weeks. If you go in too heavy you wont get anything.

The benefits of oil boilers having an external fire valve. No pay and somehow the firevalve trips and a call that the boiler isnt working. A quick no problem, be there at some point and oh by the way whilst im there you can pay me and oh by the way its an extra 50 for coming to look at the boiler :)

Next time
1) get deposit and signed estimate/quote
2) get an amount paid when boiler on site / first day
3) signed doc saying payment on completion

As said its only been a week , i wouldnt panic yet, but defo keep on his case.....if meters outside, cap it !

Ive been round to the house were i did the job but nobody was there im gunna give him a few days then gunna call at his house with another invoice and see what happens from there. Ive been ringing and texting today and no reply, this doesnt fill me with confidence

Go round to his house, knock on the door and politely head butt him in the nose, pull him outside and kick him round the street a few times until he's bleeding heavily, shove a can of expanding foam up his ....car exhaust and down his flue pipe, then relax and wait for the cops.......or seeing as it's only been a week give him a bit more time, ring him politely and tell him your accounts are due this week and you need payment to satisfy the merchants. Most people pay up given a bit of time.

Go round to his house, knock on the door and politely head butt him in the nose, pull him outside and kick him round the street a few times until he's bleeding heavily, shove a can of expanding foam up his ....car exhaust and down his flue pipe, then relax and wait for the cops.......or seeing as it's only been a week give him a bit more time, ring him politely and tell him your accounts are due this week and you need payment to satisfy the merchants. Most people pay up given a bit of time.

UKPF does not, on the whole, recommend that you headbutt the pleb. This post actually scares us and we implore that Goz seeks professional help. .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Did the op get an invoice before payment ?
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Thread closed. I think that this has now been...
Replies
Views
Well the happy price is just over 11k for...
Replies
Views
Back