cutting cast 4 inch pipe HELL!! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss cutting cast 4 inch pipe HELL!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

CXR100

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
had a job today , leaking pan connector , it was a multiquick pushed in to a cast iron pan connector, so decided to cut the cast pipe and do a decent connection , it was in an awkward place to get to , comming horizontal to the pan from a stack in a boxing. it took me about 2 1/2 hours to cutt it with a junior hacsaw. 7 blades later and i got through! anybody have tips on how to cut them? other than a hacsaw

disk cutter will go through in less time imho. or i believe you can cut through so far and give it a whack with a hammer and it's supposed to snap off cleanly at the cut.

angle grinder for me. I think I'd start crying if I had to use a junior hacksaw. Your arms must be enormous.

i thought of an angle grinder but what about sparks getting on bath ect ect??? wouldent they just go through dust sheets?? my arms felt fine after a pint of carling in the pup to celebrate i got through it in the end!!!

large sized hacksaw should take about 10 mins max. with a cuppa of tea at half way.

if you cant get a large hacksaw in then knock a hole in the wall if your able to patch or use a grinder or better a electric stihl saw.

Last edited:
angle grinder and a tap with the mash hammer, doesn't take a lot to mask the sparks.

looked at the video of a chain cutter now on youtube! must cost a fortune? for a tool that in my 5 years of plumbing id only have used maby once!

yes but cost a fortune in blades tbh. maybe an oxy torch??

i like to hack saw, good exercise.

looked at the video of a chain cutter now on youtube! must cost a fortune? for a tool that in my 5 years of plumbing id only have used maby once!

hire shops do them, approx £30 a day, cheaper for your poor old custard if your rates are like mine save them around £45 and it takes 5 mins using the right tool

I want one of those chain cutters. They look incredible! How have I got this far without knowing about them?

angle grinder and a tap with the mash hammer, doesn't take a lot to mask the sparks.

Ive always used a cutting disk where ive got the room, but a make sure there are no cracks in the pipe prior to "giving it a tap"cos it wont cut clean across just follow the existing crack. The idiot i worked for years ago cut the top of the pipe and then gave it a downward tap only to see the whole of the underside fall to the floor. For best results cut as far round as pos and then tap the front edge back towards the cut. This tends to remove the top of the pipe making the bottom accessible to cut from the top.....controlled and reduced risk. Better to take your time with cast me thinks.

If you are going to use a hacksaw use a full size one with a HSS Bi-metal blade - Eclipse is a reliable brand, probably cost you a quid each, but well worth it.

JONES_SOIL_PIPE__4f42c5b9dab97.jpgNo dust or sparks. remove links & it fits 3 - 6"

Junior hacksaw.......... Sack that.
2.5 hours later........... I know for a fact after half a hour I would be lying on the floor crying.
Then off to hire out a chain cutter. .:24:

Used to have a Heavy duty RIDGED chain cutter. It would cut spun cast drainage as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Don’t worry about a slight roughness inside...
Replies
Views
It will work fine, just keep doing the nuts up...
Replies
Views
If poss i would run to outside to stack.
Replies
Views
Aye and some of them we wish we didn't remember
Replies
Views
T
S
Erm knows his stuff centralheatking
Replies
Views
Centralheatking
C