CWS tank overflow problem | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss CWS tank overflow problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joe27

The cold water storage tank in the loft is overflowing, I have replaced the ballcock, what seems to be happening is hot water from the cylinder is getting forced back up into the cws tank and causing the overflow, the central heating header tank runs at a slight trickle and as soon as I isolate the water feed into the central heating header tank the cws storage tank overflow subsides, I have also replaced the ballcock in the central heating header tank, the hot water runs discoloured from the taps, could I be looking at a split heat exchanging coil in the cylinder? Any help much appreciated, thank you.

it is a indirect cylinder you have?

turn of the cold and drain it down you will prove it is what you think.
There no where else the two can mix

Last edited:
Does look like the coil, by your description, is letting the highest head water pass (I assume the expansion tank is the highest?). A lot of the old hot cylinders near 40 years & more, didn't have a coil, but a sort of cylinder inside the hot tank & it was prone to leak, more than a coil would.
Only other thing that can cause the cwt to overflow, is if you fitted a mixer tap that was faulty anywhere in the house & it was supplied with mains cold water & hot gravity water & no check valves on it's pipes. Seen this happening with a monobloc sink mixer which while turned fully off let the waters mix in the base of the body. New tap sorted it. Probably, though, you need a new hot cylinder.

Last edited:
as the water is discoloured i would think the two systems are mixing which would point towards the coil passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

see same. below on this as some one has had...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks. That was my thoughts. I assumed if...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Okay, so this shower is a potential route for...
Replies
Views
  • Question
If this is pumping over or expansion from the...
Replies
Views
Back