Cylinder set up | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Cylinder set up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyJ

Gas Engineer
Hi all, first thread on the forum.
Have this set up in a boarding house at a school I'm working at. Never seen anything like it before and will be servicing water heater soon.
The inlet/outlet of the small cylinder seems to be connected to a heating flow and return. The coil is connected to the hot water outlet and hot secondary return. Is the cylinder acting as a heat exchanger and possibly serving a form of 'towell rail' circuit to the bathrooms and shower rads? The building (old listed ) has a central boiler house and only one heating circuit. Feel I'm on the right path and was wondering if anyone else has come across this kind of set up before?
Thanks in advance
Jason
*Apologies couldn't get pics to go the right way up
20160219_173550.jpg20160219_173736.jpg20160219_173603.jpg

the andrews got a few faults needs sorting asap

Last edited:
I'll explain a bit further.
I'm replacing a gas water heater (vented) that sprung a leak in another part of the building. When isolating turned everything off on cwsc's to drain cold feed to relocate valve and kept getting hot water back down the cold feed. Lead me to find this cylinder back feeding to my cylinder, found they share same supply from cwsc - old 3" galv. Isolated cylinder to stop back feed. I am working the weekend to complete the replacement for when the kids go back so the system is currently off until sunday.
The cylinder is vented and can appriciate the t+p, prv discharge and vent issues (ducting is high level vent) which I can deal with. Its the small cylinder that i'm not familiar with.
I am g3 and gas safe

I'll explain a bit further.
I'm replacing a gas water heater (vented) that sprung a leak in another part of the building. When isolating turned everything off on cwsc's to drain cold feed to relocate valve and kept getting hot water back down the cold feed. Lead me to find this cylinder back feeding to my cylinder, found they share same supply from cwsc - old 3" galv. Isolated cylinder to stop back feed. I am working the weekend to complete the replacement for when the kids go back so the system is currently off until sunday.
The cylinder is vented and can appriciate the t+p, prv discharge and vent issues (ducting is high level vent) which I can deal with. Its the small cylinder that i'm not familiar with.
I am g3 and gas safe

seen one or two (normally when ripping out and starting again) and normally there were in for a buffer, but yours slightly different to the ones im thinking of (pipework wise)

Its only 49% efficient, not ideal for a boarding house, timer probably on 24/7 so imagine it gets a lot of use. I'm installing a A O Smith bfc cyclone as a replacement for the leaking one and see they do this -
schema-laagtemp-verw-UK.png
Same principal I think

Looking at the Andrews, I'd say that's been put in not that long ago as a replacement for an older less efficient unit.

I doubt there is much gain from that additional small cylinder, the coil won't have much capacity.
They'll be more gain from lagging the pipework.

Rip it out, it's a liability.

Last edited:
My bad its 79% Efficient. Its an A O Smith (don't get me started on andrews/baxi group :D) Think its pretty old, its permanent pilot and have seen a few hsi ignition ones that are 15 years old. Would assume the hsi ones superseded the permanent pilot. May be wrong and they might still make permanent pilot ones.
The small cylinder is piped up backwards and seems to be acting as a heat exchanger connected to a sealed heating circuit and piped up backwards. My concern was, if I was to price to replace the A O Smith what would i do with the small cylinder. The above diagram I found has kinda cleared it up for me. A way of getting hot water and heating from a gas fired water heater

My bad its 79% Efficient. Its an A O Smith (don't get me started on andrews/baxi group :D) Think its pretty old, its permanent pilot and have seen a few hsi ignition ones that are 15 years old. Would assume the hsi ones superseded the permanent pilot. May be wrong and they might still make permanent pilot ones.
The small cylinder is piped up backwards and seems to be acting as a heat exchanger connected to a sealed heating circuit and piped up backwards. My concern was, if I was to price to replace the A O Smith what would i do with the small cylinder. The above diagram I found has kinda cleared it up for me. A way of getting hot water and heating from a gas fired water heater

dont they have a boiler for heating?

dont they have a boiler for heating?
Yes, as I said in 1st post central boiler house with one heating circuit. Only explanation I could see was small cylinder is supplying a form of 'towel rail'' circuit. It would involve massive works to install a separate 'towel rail' circuit so it seems like a cheap alternative I suppose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

B
  • Question
Well, I'm thinking if your HOT OUT goes in a...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
I cannot see the photo's but from your...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You need a mcalpine V33WM, the site won't let...
Replies
Views
I have connected the secondary pump to a wifi...
Replies
Views
Back