D2 pipework | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss D2 pipework in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

S

simjohnson

HI
I bought a converted apartment in a mill block 5 years ago. I have an unvented boiler (electric). After a recent problem my plumber identified that the pipework from the tundish to the outside vent is the wrong size reduces from 22m to 15 mm pipe which runs for about 4 and a half metres before venting through the exterior wall as an open pipe (vents to the car park 25 foot below). Local building control have told me the pipework should be 22mm and that those were the regs at the time of the conversion. The developer who sold me the property says I should have discovered it in the 1st two years and won't help. The 15 mm pipework was not visible before I had the leak and only became apparent after I removed paneling to ensure the area of the leak dried out. Is the pipework as fitted likely to be a danger or cause more problems. Any views would be helpful as I'm debating whether to take the developer to the small claims for the cost of replacement.
Simon Johnson

it shouldn't vent straight out onto the car park , the water could quite easily hit someone and cause damage etc . it should be 22mm too as you've been told already. id recommend getting it put right but a suitably qualified person

Needs to be replaced as it will cause problems when any of the safety pressure / temperature devices blow off. The current pipe won't be able to cope and will back up flooding your property. LBC should have inspected this as part of their own inspections, unless the installer used a competent person scheme to register it.

The outside pipework should terminate no more than 4" from ground level and not be a danger.

Oh and welcome to the forum :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your help and advice. I wonder whether this was a cost cutting thing as you only realise the pipe decreases to 15mm when you lift the panels and boards. All apppears as should be in 22m when you look in the tank room. They converted 30 apartments probably all in the same way would that give them a significant saving on pipework ie 15mm instead of 22mm? I wonder? but thanks again.
Simon

HI
I bought a converted apartment in a mill block 5 years ago. I have an unvented boiler (electric). After a recent problem my plumber identified that the pipework from the tundish to the outside vent is the wrong size reduces from 22m to 15 mm pipe which runs for about 4 and a half metres before venting through the exterior wall as an open pipe (vents to the car park 25 foot below). Local building control have told me the pipework should be 22mm and that those were the regs at the time of the conversion. The developer who sold me the property says I should have discovered it in the 1st two years and won't help. The 15 mm pipework was not visible before I had the leak and only became apparent after I removed paneling to ensure the area of the leak dried out. Is the pipework as fitted likely to be a danger or cause more problems. Any views would be helpful as I'm debating whether to take the developer to the small claims for the cost of replacement.
Simon Johnson

the pipework is whats know as a Latent Defect........." a latent defect is a fault in the property that could not have been discovered by a reasonably thorough inspection before the sale."

the design and original installation was not to the regulations so is not a wear and tear fault, if you speak to your house warrantee company (nhbc,zurich etc....) and tell them its a latent defect as well as a design defect and should be retified free of charge.

Google latent defect, you should get some information. My old company would have to repair/fix anything that was out of warrantee if it was deemed a latent defect...... anything designed or installed incorrectly free of charge. This was normal for our jobs for national house builders, local builders etc.......

at the end of the day the original installer did a dangerous installation and should not only be responsible for the correction of it but also be reported to building control and the hse.

Last edited:
not fit for purpose is another phrase d2 is a size larger than d1 but different lengths require still larger pipes and if it joins with other discharges it needs to be further enlarged and you cant discharge water released from t&pr at a position where someone could be injured by it tell the builder that and threaten to get very expensive if they think a massive and i do mean really massive bill will concentrate their greedy mind

Having real difficulty with the builder developer. They are saying as it's outside the two year minor defect guarantee they won't cover it and that I should have found out before still I'll keep plugging away at them. Thanks for your help.

Have you approached Building Control for their opinion yet as they had to sign the properties off.

Perhaps a solicitors letter initially and then the small claims court.
The argument that you should have noticed the defect earlier is irrelevant as you, as as lay-person, could not be expected to be conversant with Part G of the building regulations.
MM

Building control agree that it's wrong and have given me a copy of the regs in force at the time of the conversion to reinforce this. I've passed this to the developer as well as the e mail from building control stating they don't always inspect every aspect but really in part on builders to police themselves. I think it will have to be as you suggest Sols letter and small claims court. Thanks for your continued help.
Simon

hi simjohnson your quite right the builder does say its outside the two year minor defect period and i could tell you i am young and beautiful (its true but not relevent) this isnt a minor defect it is as a wheatly says a latent defect it doesnt has a time limit they knew it was wrong when they put it in and now is the time to put it right as they no there is a problem if water at 95 degree showered on you tomorrow they no all about the problem and they would have no defence for your million pound compensation claim and other people may be injured too include me on the list of people who need huge sums of money to get over the trauma

Similar plumbing topics

Basically sounds like nothing was set in stone...
Replies
Views
A resume of the outcome would be polite...Rob...
Replies
Views
M
Try feeling around each of the valves with...
Replies
Views
M
typical pub job it has to stay higher than the...
Replies
Views
Back