De-commisioned Back Boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss De-commisioned Back Boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amy

I came across this scenerio on a landlords-
A new boiler in the kitchen.
A fire in the lounge, upon closer inspection it was found to be connected to a back-boiler and the back-boiler still connected to the gas supply. I would have thought this back-boiler would have been ok left in situ as long as the gas valve was re-moved and appropriate fitting used to cap off thus isolating it from the gas supply. Also I would expect the bb to be drained down and drilled, is this correct , if so what else should be done.

Just guessing but isn't this the only way of keeping the gas fire operational.

Cheers

rsr

Hi

If the three way valve is turned to supply gas to the fire only and the electrics are disconected from the boiler, there should be no real reason to do everything else you mention... and the fire can still be used.

I take it the boiler is no longer connected to the heating system. if so the pipe work would have open ends somewhere this would negate the need to drill the heat exchanger, i only ever did this for dunsley coal fired boilers.

gb-gas

It depends on the manufacturer but basically, the burner tray "should" be removed and the 3 way valve capped at the boiler end. Boiler drained and pipe ends left open. Electric supply disconnected.
Normally no need to drill the heat exchanger as there is no burner there.

Hi

If the three way valve is turned to supply gas to the fire only and the electrics are disconected from the boiler, there should be no real reason to do everything else you mention... and the fire can still be used.

I take it the boiler is no longer connected to the heating system. if so the pipe work would have open ends somewhere this would negate the need to drill the heat exchanger, i only ever did this for dunsley coal fired boilers.

gb-gas

Hi,
I didn't think you could turn the service cock to just supply the fire...? 1, either boiler & fire or 2, only boiler or 3,nothing, correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

gb-gas

sorry absolute NO-NO to only isolate at 3 way valve, if i seen an appliance isolated like this i would RIDDOR it, as per CCN1 fault finding you are expected to notice a valved supply that isnt capped, the pipe to the boiler MUST BE CAPPED,
the electrics to the boiler disconnected properly, the appliance labelled to identify that the boiler is decommissioned, and depending on make and model, some ask for the burner assembly to be removed completely

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Again, ongoing thanks. I'll have to get to my...
Replies
Views
👍🏻 I knew the fire ones had to be, we've done...
Replies
Views
Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
P
Doesn't matter, mod will remove or close it.
Replies
Views
Back