desperately looking for plumbing work experience | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss desperately looking for plumbing work experience in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yogavo

I am sure there are numerous threads with the same subject matter so I apologise in advance.
I've recently acquired my 6129 Techincal Plumbing Certificate, but have little formal work based experience within the plumbing field, apart from helping fit a bathroom last week. I feel in order to continue with my studies resulting in an NVQ 3 I need find more plumbing work. I am hard working, very reliable and very eager to learn. I am willing to work for free in the London, helping out where ever I can, whilst learning. I am available throughout the weekend and throughout the weekend. I am just looking for the chance to get confidence as I try to make my way into the sector.

[email protected]

89 views no replies. closed shop it seems.

When you have studied, done your courses, bought your analyser, done more courses (ACS) and set up in business, and then paid to get work through advertising, then got jobs for people to not pay, then worked 80 hour weeks to build experience, keep your business going through pride, you might realise that the closed shop you once imagined is actually 'open for business'.

As you get futher and further in, it will dawn on you that the position you were in a few years previous, has got tougher, because there are more and more people to compete with.

Closed shops were there for a reason. To protect workers from exploitation and to maintain working conditions - not such a bad idea.

Working self employed is a different world, and there is no union to protect you - you are at the mercy of the market in all its uncontrolled glory.

Have a think about this one.

well said clanger. Yogavo, we get numerous posts like yours every week thats probably why no one replied. Good luck in your search for more experience. Have you tried plumbers in your area?

Could the forum people create a sub forum for these types of ads?

I knew there were problems with over-supply in our industry, but with the number of posts I have seen on this forum by trainees looking for 'experience', it seems something else is going on.

How can one get knowledge of something and understand it, without experience?

Its like describing how to ride a bike to a person that has never experienced a bike. We could draw it, describe it, let them touch different parts of it at different times, show them videos of it, sketches, and discussions about riding bikes. We could test them on what they imagine to be the way it works. We could then give a certificate for their competency.

But, they can never 'understand it' without riding the bike for themselves.

All the "be a plumber and earn £30,000 a year" adverts don't help.

I work part time in another industry and wanted to try my hand at something else soI'm on a C&G level 2 course in a local Further Education College at the moment. But I've come into it with my eyes open. I initially wanted to an evening course to MAYBE get the chance of a trainee position or at least become a compotent DIYer and POSSIBLY set up self employed as an odd jobber

- it would have cost me about a grand over 2years. I then found out that the full time course is funded by the Welsh Assembly (£900 for a part time course £0 for a full time course - no brainer really)

But too many people do seem to have a rosy view that plumbers owe them an apprentiship and it's an easy carreer with massive returns for little work. The number of people asking for work experience is just a symptom of the condition of the economy in my opinion.

We have guys round my way charging £10 per hour with no call out. The age-concern handy man takes these jobs also at £10 per hour.

The insurance companies offering all-in cover are taking the rest. Even when people call now for little jobs, they want them done for no more than £25.

The bottom has dropped out of the job, big style and will never recover.

Get into industrial plumbing, because at least its less competative.

Surely in these times of having the minimum wage, employment rights etc, it must be illegal for anyone to work for a commercial enterprise for free even if they ask for it?
Sign of the times it is that people out there are so desperate for a skilled job that they'd belittle their esteem and self worth to become a slave with no wages.

i suggested that once and my post was deleted and i was reprimanded. fun times.

Maybe you posted in an "inappropriate" forum?

I've sent a private message to one of the moderators suggesting a "apprentices/plumbers mates wanted or available" be added to the section with Courses and Course Feedback - it would help anyone who needs it and would keep all the other forums "on topic".

All the "gissa job" posts are clogging up the works at times. Maybe others who feel the same as me could send requests for such a forum too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely in these times of having the minimum wage, employment rights etc, it must be illegal for anyone to work for a commercial enterprise for free even if they ask for it?
Sign of the times it is that people out there are so desperate for a skilled job that they'd belittle their esteem and self worth to become a slave with no wages.

All the best Proffessions have had internships for years - lawyers, accountants, politics etc. get college kids to do a few months unpaid "work experience". - Plus most of the older guys probably started working with a Dad or Uncle for pocket money.

But I agree it's a poor show that it's got to this being so common.

Unpaid apprenticeship has been understood as slavery throughout history. Our current situation is no different. However, higher level internships are a very different proposition when compared to unpaid apprenticeship.

Internships provide work experience required for jobs which are associated with professions in most cases. Hence there is a worthy investment to be made and numbers qualifying are restricted and sustainable.

As for apprenticeship, this too is sustainable - apprentices displace old-timers. But, when apprentices do not progress through sustainable routes, via employment, we are exposed to a supply side, which affects the balance of the market - too much labour leads to wage-deflation. In occupations such as plumbing, this is now beyond control.

As for the professions, then this is naturally restricted by the numbers being able to afford tuition fees.

Welcome to the world as it is Clanger.
I too think the trade is dying and in some ways i am glad i haven't long to go in it but we never know what is around the corner. It is getting harder all the time.
I really fear for the outlook of the young guys who have done a proper apprenticeship. They will barely be able to make a living wage due to the trade being killed by the greed of those outside of it. Training providers (including collages who also compete for trade) at one end and agencies at the other with the tradesman being downtrodden in the middle for a quick buck to everyone but the man at the face.
A good mate of mine who has 30 years experience is working 7 days a week for £9/hr (agency). No time and half or double time at weekends! I moan at him for even taking the job as he is a very good plumber but £9 is better than buroo money i suppose.
In years gone by the trade, as were all trades, were mostly self sustainable. When work was plentiful apprentices were taken on and if things slowed down so the intake slowed. That way of working and recruitment worked for 100 years or more.
I would love to get figures on the amount of people that do these courses who are actually still in the trade in any capacity after a year.

One of the biggest threats to plumbing are plumbers themselves. The amount of botched diy jobs I get asked to fix is huge, but plumbers (and other trades) are only thinking in the short term as to where and what the next job is going to be for themselves instead of us all getting together and actively promoting a campaign against diy and showing the real benefits and savings that can be made by getting a professional to do it.

It's not just the short courses and training schools that are killing this industry. Every time Mr Walsh and company broadcast yet another diy programme that brainwash the masses into believing that they can build a ******* house all by themselves even though few of them can even use a hammer, more good tradesmen are put on the dole due to lack of work. Mr Walsh and all the other presenters get a big fat TV pay cheque for the cack they spew out, they don't need to live on a 60 quid a week dole hand out.

Maintenance plumbing here is almost dead (except for the council contract I'm on) as people are going down the diy route instead. So the crux of it as far as I'm concerned is that in order to stop this great and ancient industry from going **** up, we have to work together and promote ourselves before it's too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I’m due to finish my level 2 next year and I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am a 22-year-old building...
Replies
Views
Hi all am new on here. I've passed my level 2...
Replies
Views
Hi guys I’m hoping I find some luck here, I...
Replies
Views
Back