Direct unvented and hard water | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Direct unvented and hard water in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

darren bastin

Gas Engineer
Hi, I will be fitting an unvented hot water cylinder heated via immersion elements. my concern is that the customer has a borehole supply which is very hard, which will effect the life of the elements. Could anyone recommend a proven product t prevent the problem. Will a whole house inline limefighter be adequate ?

I may be wrong but don't most boilers ask for them to be put on as part of the MI's???

It's not a boiler it's an unvented cylinder.
If it's very hard water than no matter what you fit the cylinder could get scaled, just offer to descale it when necessary.
If you start talking water softeners etc you might just price yourself out of a job.

Inline scale inhibitors are ok for boilers because the treated water passes directly through and dosnt sit at all, they have a effect on the scale for between 17-48 hrs. With a hw cyl the water will not be used in time so will need a different method ie watersoftner or phosphate doser

similar situation. I thought the magnet scale fighters and electronic ones were snake oil. do they actually work? or should I as suggested use a phosphate doser?

No, not snake oil. You just have to understand what you are fitting and what you are fitting it to.

A magnetic scale inhibitor directly on the feed to a single appliance will make some difference. It will lengthen the life (for example) of an electric shower, and it will reduce and delay scale deposits. It will not eliminate them.

I have had very good reports of the Hydropath HS34 and HS38 electronic inhibitor, but it does make a difference where you site it.

No, not snake oil. You just have to understand what you are fitting and what you are fitting it to.

A magnetic scale inhibitor directly on the feed to a single appliance will make some difference. It will lengthen the life (for example) of an electric shower, and it will reduce and delay scale deposits. It will not eliminate them.

I have had very good reports of the Hydropath HS34 and HS38 electronic inhibitor, but it does make a difference where you site it.
But he was asking about protecting an un-vented cylinder Ray not a electric shower.

Agree that Base Exchange is the only truly effective way of sorting hard water...
A half decent metered unit isn't going to cost any more than a couple of descales of a cylinder in the big scheme of things....

Worth mentioning to the customer, but not forcing into your quote as an essential work. I would guarantee that others won't put it in so may get priced out.

The control of scale in domestic cylinders is mainly managed by limiting the temperature to no more than 60 - 65deg C, above this the rate of scale coming out of solution increases greatly.

In my experience it is very rare for the build up to cause problems, as the scale particles break off of the heater elements & fall to the base. So long as the build-up does not stop the circulation of water across the element all will be fine.

Just make sure you check for build-up when replacing any elements.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Pic for reference as it’s a commercial...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
Is the water in your area known for be very...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
They sound extremely suspect, I realise it's...
Replies
Views
Back