diverter actuator not working correctly :( | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss diverter actuator not working correctly :( in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

M

marcel808

hi
a week ago, we started to see problems with the central heating. When the central heating switches on, nothing happens. When the hot water is switched on, both hot water and central heating start working.
I assumed it was a problem with the diverter valve (we have a Drayton MAI/679-3 mid position diverter).
I changed the front electrical part (the actuator), I havent touched the water diverter valve because it seems to turn easily.
After changing the actuator, no change, exactly the same results.
Is really confusing me :) If I check the voltages, when the hot water on signal goes to 240v, that connects straight to the orange wire (boiler on I assume) and the boiler starts. But when the white (central heating on I assume) has 240v, the orange (boiler on I assume) is 0v. Does the actuator look for the white wire 240v, turn the motor then set the orange wire to 240v?
Even when I take the actuator off the valve, the motor cannot move to just central heating. See attached photo, even using the manual level on the side of the actuator, it can only move between W (water) and M (both water and heating). I cannot ever get it to turn to H (just central heating). Its a brand new actuator, doing exactly the same as the old actuator I took off. I'm really confused :)
many thanks for any advice

IMG_1233.jpg

hi lame plumber
I don't have a room thermostat, just a Tado (which has its own wireless thermostat).
Tado sends 240v to the orange wire for hot water and 240v to the white wire for central heating.
thanks

have you double checked your wiring ?

Sorry, thought it was two valves. if you take the head off does the valve spindle turn freely? And have you put the wires back exactly as they were?

sorted :)
The HW OFF wire was not connected up. I found a useful Y-Plan diagram that showed the central heating only fires up when 230v on white AND grey (white being central heating on and grey being hot water off).
many many thanks

Similar plumbing topics

Are you Gas Safe Registered? If not please...
Replies
Views
Remember, the HW even when porogrammed off...
Replies
Views
Has it always done this? Sounds like a wiring...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Problem found, it was a blockage... mostly in...
Replies
Views
I don’t think the connection on the detach pro...
Replies
Views
Back