DIY and Vaillant boiler... | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss DIY and Vaillant boiler... in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

L

Leighgoesnorth

My flat has a Vaillant Turbomax 828 boiler that has been losing pressure since we started using it this winter. I have to top it up evry couple of days and have noticed a small leak from the PRV and drips from the overflow outside. I've spoken to a couple of guys about coming to fix it and the prices scare me a bit. From what I can tell it needs a service, possibly the PRV and maybe the expansion vessel replacing. I'm wondering if these are the sort of jobs a keen DIYer can do themselves? I'm pretty handy and have read quite a lot online about how to carry these tasks out but I know gas boilers and central heating can be dangerous and complex. Any advice would be welcome and very much appreciated... *

What prices have you been quoted?

You could be replacing parts that aren't needed (wasting money).

I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. What ever price you pay will be a small price for the safety of you and your family.

Being keen doesnt mean you are compitant on how to go about a fix. You have answered your own question in saying boilers are dangerous and complex. They are if you dont know what youre doing. Get someone in that knows what they are doing. You may find thats it could be a small job to repair it and not what these guys are telling you.

Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses... I was told it could be a straight forward service, cleaning of the PRV and all over in an hour for £90 or if it's more problematic a fixed labour cost of £170 and parts possibly of £150... Depending on what was needed. I'm in East London and I know those prices aren't that high but some jobs are easily done yourself... *

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Well done, BUT, does it work and then does it...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Tbh it’s a must for horizontal cylinders as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I totally understand where you're coming from...
Replies
Views
Thank you for the detailed and considered...
Replies
Views
  • Question
and then... and then in a GERMAN boiler manual...
Replies
Views
PaoloTherm
P
Back