Diy boiler move. Notifiable? | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Diy boiler move. Notifiable? in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

jonny5isalive

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Went to fix a 'water leak' for homeserve. No water leak but boiler had been moved from downstairs and wasnt working properly. Owner/ son of owner/ told me this. Was about three degrees out from straight on the wall. Drop test went straight out so i IDed the installation and capped at the meter. They asked me back to find the leak privately and i informed them that i might have to turn off the boiler as they had obviously moved it themselves and it wasnt safe. They cancelled the appointment i presume to do it themselves or get someone else in.

My question mainly i suppose is should i inform anyone of the potentially dangerous installation a la RIDDOR? It sounds like this only works if you have an installer name or address.

Theyre obviously too tight to pay for things to be done properly although the bank account that qualifies them for homeserve means you have over 80k going in every year.

If they get a gas safe engineer in to find the leak theyre obviously going to have to recommission the boiler so will check if its safe, hopefully. Theyre the last engineer on site then. If they do it themselves then im wondering if ive done enough to keep people safe and if theres more i can do.

Thanks in advance.

Another part of my worry is that they may rent it out and not bother about cp12 or making anything safe. And i now feel responsible in some way although i feel i have followed protocol and have my signed id form.

Last edited:
Out of interest what would you have done? Ive sat on it for a few days to see how i feel and im still worried. Mainly at the idea that theyll rent it out. The son said he was to live there. Fine as ive told him the boiler is probably dangerous and he needs to have it fitted properly. And if he lives there then thats his choice. The dad owns it. Lots of money and property but no desire to pay for someone to do things safely.

Its wierd also as the boiler was sqew on the wall and i thought DIY but looked outside and the condense was run in lagged 32mm. You dont do that if youre not bothered about the mis.

Not RIDDORing just saves me the time it took to fill out the form so id rather have it on record. Not holding my breath or even thinking ill find out if something does happen. The form seems more set up for catching out dodgy installs than dangerous DIY.

To get it 'free' with your bank account i think. Black horse account. As told by Homeserve.

Theyd used it as an attempt to get the heating system working as theyd made a mess of it. Called in a fake problem. Scariest thing is they wouldnt have called in anyone if it had worked straight off the bat.

Similar plumbing topics

No they just do the address, thank goodness...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I'd forget about reporting him unless the work...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
Back