DIYer - need help with toilet pipe air-valve install | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss DIYer - need help with toilet pipe air-valve install in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Hi,

New to the forum - hoping to get some help here.

I am rerouting my toilet to have the pipe work hidden in the eaves.

IMG_0337.jpg

Bath/shower/basin waste connects to the toilet drain via Barco Bos.

I need help with the air vent.
- Do I need one for toilet, and another for shower/bath/basin waste?
- Do I need one for each bath, basin and shower?

Where is the best location for the air valve (or valves)?

Many thanks for your help.

Boxing and run to the right off the toilet

Gents, thanks for your replies.

Yes, perhaps not the most logical approach but I'd like to try before giving up. This will make space available that was previously unavailable.

The bos (or boss) connects the 40mm on to the 4 in pipe.

It is not going uphill - there is a drop of about 450mm from toilet outlet to outside stack. Is this sufficient?

The stack can be vented outside, but will it take care of the basin/bath/shower pipe venting?

Adding rodding point to the planning.

Last edited:
It’s more the proximity of the bends. Every turn causes resistance and friction to the nasties trying to run away. Sometimes the easy option isn’t the right one

See if you can substitute the 3 x middle 90° for 2 x 45°'s

If its already an internal stack take it high and fit a durgo if it's external take it past the highest outlet inside

Not all outlets / sanitaryware need a vent, unless it's pulling a trap ect..

If you want to play it safe fit anti-syphon trap under bath and basin there not that much dearer than a normal trap

The 40mm waste pipe will pull any water filled traps on the all the fittings when the bath is drained Part H of the building regs sets out the maximum runs for single runs to single fittings once you start combining them then you need to increase the waste pipe size or add an anti-siphon pipe or mini AAAV or replace the water filled traps with waterless traps.
The stack should be ventilated, the branch to the WC doesn't have to be but I would be tempted to run a 50mm anti picking up the WC & the bath (40 or even 32mm) if at all possible, run above overspill level of the pan & connected back into the dry part of the stack (vent pipe). In that way no mechanical devices would be required.
Medium radius bends are fine so long as the float is installed with the correct falls (18 - 90mm per M) de-bur the pipes & you will not have any problems.
https://assets.publishing.service.g...achment_data/file/442889/BR_PDF_AD_H_2015.pdf

Thank you all for your replies - very helpful stuff.

Ok, so install anti-syphon traps on shower/bath/basins.

AAV or Durgo on 40mm pipe. Inside eaves ok? see diagram.

AAV/Durgo not required for toilet, but better if it has it? Or definitely required? Or not needed at all?

I'll attempt to use 2 x 45° bends instead of the first 90.

IMG_0343.jpg

Did I capture everything? Thanks again everyone.

The 40mm waste pipe will pull any water filled traps on the all the fittings when the bath is drained Part H of the building regs sets out the maximum runs for single runs to single fittings once you start combining them then you need to increase the waste pipe size or add an anti-siphon pipe or mini AAAV or replace the water filled traps with waterless traps.
The stack should be ventilated, the branch to the WC doesn't have to be but I would be tempted to run a 50mm anti picking up the WC & the bath (40 or even 32mm) if at all possible, run above overspill level of the pan & connected back into the dry part of the stack (vent pipe). In that way no mechanical devices would be required.
Medium radius bends are fine so long as the float is installed with the correct falls (18 - 90mm per M) de-bur the pipes & you will not have any problems.
https://assets.publishing.service.g...achment_data/file/442889/BR_PDF_AD_H_2015.pdf

@ChrisWatkins - many thanks, very helpful.

Is this what you mean?

IMG_0347.jpg

@ChrisWatkins - many thanks, very helpful.

Is this what you mean?

View attachment 38193
No, you don't need & probably shouldn't have a "Durgo" on the main stack, can't terminate to atmosphere ? if it can then the loop is find but not essential it is more to try to anti the bath run so it will not self-syphon when discharged. Otherwise couldn't you run it separately along the eaves to connect directly to the stack?
Remember this work is covered by Building Control & you should be talking to them.
Please don't use anti-vac traps you may well live to regret it.
Try this type of trap = Sanitary waste valve in bathroom applications

Thanks Chris,

With a waterless trap I can now reroute the bath and connect directly to the toilet's 4 in. (See diagram) because it can go above joists.

IMG_0348.jpg

This ok?
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/osma-...qAosAERuxAzb8d-yeEAaAmbpEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

About the AAV - should it go on the 4 in behind the toilet, or the shower/basin 1.5 in?

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Best thing to do first is to read the relevant...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Turn the waste fitting 45 so the angled...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I'm a homeowner, not a DIYer. I have...
Replies
Views
It doesn't matter what plumbing you have...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Welcome! Could anyone offer their advice?
Replies
Views
Back